Overheating issues

Starletfreak

Member +
Guys i know this has been covered so many times but i cant get any possible answers,and this issue is getting to me.

To cut story short,my car has heating problems,fan coming on as it should but it only overheats when there is load on the engine,hill climbing.

I've had the thermostat has been removed still same issue. Can you guys tell me some basic things to check??

dark_knight

Member +
@ mr2turbored: i think running an engine without a thermostat is ok if the car is natively used for hard driving (track use) as it then allows coolant through all the time and doesn't have to wait for the thermostat to activate. i'm sure most would hesitate to remove their thermostats since it will make it harder for the oil to get to optimum. all this depends on the use the car will be put to..

dark_knight

Member +
btw, are you running coolant or water in your cooling system..? have you recently flushed the system..? if so, did you bleed the system to get rid of air..? you may also have a chocked heater matrix or one of your cooling lines. always worth a check..

weeJohn

Lifer
Headgasket is usally the problem, if you get a leakdown test and a compression test done it should let you know for sure.

Member +
you also shouldn't run a car without a thermostat buddy

x2

@ mr2turbored: i think running an engine without a thermostat is ok if the car is natively used for hard driving (track use) as it then allows coolant through all the time and doesn't have to wait for the thermostat to activate

running without a thermostat removes the restriction caused by the thremostat, and as water always takes the path of least resistance it is not passed round all of the block and hence you get heat spots; i.e. one part of your engine is severely hotter than the other. very bad idea running without one, if you want better cooling you should by one that opens at a lower temp - such as the sard one.

just rip the head off, get it skimmed and refit with a metal head gasket and some ARP head studs.

its set then for all the ragging about you want to throw at it. well head lift side of things anyway lol

Tim :)