Overheating, steaming and coolent leak!!! - help needed!!!!!!

right I have a MK1 fairly standard, nothing really stupid running about 0.8 at absolute max boost with a blitz exhaust, actuator etc but no mapping or ecu stuff, all standard injectors and that. anyways on way through southampton from new milton on thursday and saw some steem coming from the intercooler lip on the bonnet. looked at the temp gauge on dash bord and shit myself as was higher then normal and starting to rise. managed to pull over before she got into the red and let her cool down.

looked underneith and noticed a coolent leak, looks like it's comming from the thermostate housing underneith the standard intercooler?

when was pulled over and letting her cool down removed the dip stick but only really oil on it, not really diluted or anything. managed to limp to a mates house and leave her overnight.

next day when went to toe her home looked in the oil filler cap but was perfectly normal.. nothing in there that shouldn't have been (no milky signs or water etc) so fairly happy it's not headgasket. filled the rad up with water and a little coolent (as was very low because of the leak).

managed to limp home in traffic with no overheating problems! - although i defo don't want to drive her like it at the moment.

just wondered if anyone has had problems with thermostate housing or might know what it is thats leaking. haven't really taken anything off yet but wanted to post incase anyone could shed any light.

shame it's a mk1 thats old and a little tired now which really doesn't help with this cold weather at the moment too.

many thanks, tom.

SupaStu

Member +
Tired clips and hoses? Tired and old thermostat? Worth checking and renewing if they look suspect or damaged, old brittle etc.

AdamB

Member +
Worth changing the thermostat mate, and im pretty sure theres a gasket between where the thermostat housing meets the head, that could be your problem ;)

yeah definately gonna get a new thermostat as is a nice cheap renewell, but probably gonna try and get a thermostat housing too as i suspect is the problem.
and im guessing the gasket would come with either the thermostat or the housing?
thanks, tom.

AdamB

Member +
You might get the gasket if you buy the complete housing, but you won't if you just buy the thermostat. Might be worth taking the housing off first and looking at the gasket.

dac69er

Super Moderator
the housing for the thermostat itself just relies on the rubber seal fitted to the thermostat. i have seen some people just use sealer and it could be the case for your car.

if you are talking about the complete housing with the sensors etc then there is no gasket, it is just sealant you use.

when you buy a new thermostat you should get a new seal.

mork

Member +
I used Granville blue sealant that is good for metal to metal surfaces. Better than a gasket in some cases.