Painting the floor pan, which paint?

AdamB

Member +
As title really, I'm looking at painting the inside of my car in the next few days, im wondering which paint would be best to use? It looks as if someone has already tried to paint the inside as there is brush marks behind the rear door cards. I know a lot of people use smooth hammerite, but will this leave brush marks when painted on?

The spare wheel well has been painted with a rattle can and has started to flake, so will I be better off getting some smooth hammerite or a rattle can job?

Thanks
Adam

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
i painted rear of mine, when stripped it adam with rattle cans..
just used acid primer, and took my time to make sure was clean..

never been a great fan of brushing hammerite..

AdamB

Member +
Cheers buddy, I was starting to think to just rattle can it and take my time masking up and getting a good clean surface.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
thats all ive done for rear of mine..
am doing the whole inside again, once ive installed Omex and had car tuned, just to get it fresh for when i bring it back out..
make sure you use some kind of acid primer adam..

dac69er

Super Moderator
why not just scotchbrite it, clean it with thinners and then spray hammerite it? ive got some bloody good finishes with spray on hammerite and its more hard wearing than normal rattle can paint.

AdamB

Member +
Thats the only reason I would prefer hammerite really is that its much more hard wearing. Didn't know you can get it as a spray though!

dac69er

Super Moderator
yeah, its good stuff, but it needs to be shaken up well and used in warm conditions, its not as easy to get a good finish as normal rattle cans, and it is more expensive, but gives a better result imo. you spray it outside in this weather and it will be shite.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Paint always goes on better when its warmer. Your probably better off waiting for the better weather anyway

AdamB

Member +
Thats true. Had some nice weather here today so I got cleaning with some thinners and scotchbrite, just needs sanding down now.

iamlegend

Member +
I used hammerrite super white tinned paint yes tinned paint and used a mini roller lol

got this result!

worked a reet treat mate!
DSCF0128.jpg

AdamB

Member +
That looks pretty damn awesome! I think I'm gonna try the spray hammerite stuff, if I don't get a good result I'll try something else :) The problem I have is that its not just the floor I need to do because some monkey has painted all behind the door card plastics, the B pillar plastics etc so is going to be a bit of a ballache to do this with a roller I'm assuming. So I hope I can get a pretty good finish with a rattle can.

dark_knight

Member +
remember that the key to good paint is surface preparation. do whatever you can to get the surface as clean as possible, so that the paint sticks on.. even if from a rattle can.. :)

dark_knight

Member +
white spirit is your friend. when all done with the wire-brushing and prep, give the surface a wipe of white spirit then let it dry out..

dac69er

Super Moderator
white spirit is your friend. when all done with the wire-brushing and prep, give the surface a wipe of white spirit then let it dry out..

white spirit leaves an oily residue. its ok if you are just hammeriting, but some proper solvent cleaner is far better

dark_knight

Member +
white spirit leaves an oily residue. its ok if you are just hammeriting, but some proper solvent cleaner is far better

where will the oily residue come from when you are stripping all the old paint and getting to the bare metal.. or is that not what is happening in this case..?