PC icon query - What is it?

ady_glanza

Member +
Hello all

Just today i've recognised an icon which appears in the bottom right of my work PC screen (next to where the time is). It looks like an the face of a grey/blueish rabbit with one of its eye a flashing red and the other is a flashing green (although it doesn't actually flash) It only appears for around half a second just as i press the shut down button the pc.

I don't ever recall it before. Anyone know what it might be or is it something that may have been installed on there sometime today (possibly remotely by the IT department) in order to see what websites we are viewing (although i only tend to go on them on breaks.

Thanks

CMR

Member +
The only thing similar I can think of is Emule, but as far as I know the eyes dont flash.

I install software like your describing on Pc's and its not familiar to me.

Any chance of you taking a screenshot of your task manager programs and I might be able to help from there

ady_glanza

Member +
Screen print it and stick a picture up of it on here. :)

I can't do that as it only appears as soon as you hit the shut down button and then ok, it only appears for half a second and then the computer goes off. Once it comes back on it wouldn't have save the screen print when i clicked on it.

Thanks

CMR

Member +
You can either press ctrl + alt + delete then select task manager, or right click anywhere across the taskbar at the bottom and load task manager.
It should auto open the 'processes' tab, try to fit them on all one screen, if not take a few shots :)

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
just go at the it department telling them what you have noticed and ask them if it could be a virus or anything like that! so if they did it they will tell you its ok np...

ady_glanza

Member +
You can either press ctrl + alt + delete then select task manager, or right click anywhere across the taskbar at the bottom and load task manager.
It should auto open the 'processes' tab, try to fit them on all one screen, if not take a few shots :)

hi mate
i've just done tnis and it comes up with a list of image names (51 in total) but it doesn't show the icon, you can click on them but no icon is shown. They are .exe files. The only thing you can do with them is click on them and end process, but how do i know which one is the one i am referring to that appears for half a second as they all have unusual names such as mctray.exe, ctfmon.exe, shstat.exe and so on.

CMR

Member +
yeah it won't show the icon, just post em up so we can have a look at the program names.
If it shows when you turn the computer off it will almost definitely be running now

ady_glanza

Member +
print screen and post what you have on the task manager mate!

hi mate
it won't let me do it
however i can type the 51 images that are mentioned, although it may not state the image i am referring to as it only appears when i'm shutting down.

lingl9z

Member +
it wont let you print screen the task manager? hmm strange, u could google each of the .exes running and see if they come up as a known vir/trojan etc? takes a while to do though.

ady_glanza

Member +
it wont let you print screen the task manager? hmm strange, u could google each of the .exes running and see if they come up as a known vir/trojan etc? takes a while to do though.

It would let me print screen and paste it into word but won't let me paste it on here.

milloman

Member +
hi mate
it won't let me do it
however i can type the 51 images that are mentioned, although it may not state the image i am referring to as it only appears when i'm shutting down.

There should always be a process running though for something to kick in at shut down only... i dont see why it wont let u print screen it :confused:, but if you can type all the processes out i'm sure someone will spot the bugger!

If it saves you typing, we dont need to know about explorer.exe, iexplore.exe, rundll.exe, svchost.exe and system idle process ;) lol

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
you need to upload the pic to something like photobucket.. then link it to us & we can help more ;)

kon

milloman

Member +
You wouldn't have a problem if u had a computer like mine :D ...

broken_computer.jpg