Pc Psu Fan Help

addz

Member +
My fan is running a little rough and I believe dust is the culprit. I have opened the unit up and given the fan a quick clean. It's a sleeve bearing DC-12v 0.18a 80mm

If and when I need to replace it will any fan do?

Many thanks in advance;)

asad_EP5DR

Fresh Recruit
Get a ball bearing type fan outlast the sleeve type if it has a sticker on the back of it lift the sticker off put a dab of grease into it and it should calm down

Paul_JJ

Member +
What is your PSU make? Ball Bearing would be a lot better than anything else! Never heard of people replacing the PSU fans even if the computers were 20 years old -) You're the first one!

Normally it's advisable to replace the PSU, to something decent with 120 mm fan pointing on the CPU Radiator and no less than 500W, for example Gigabyte or OCZ is pretty good value for money! If you're concerned about the noise I can tell you a lot about how to make your PC as quiet as possible. And remember the bigger the fan the less is the noise.

Most of the people have cheap no name PSU and that is Crucial for the PC to have a decent one as if something goes wrong you would have to buy a new PC -) I've seen dozens of broken pc's due to bad PSU.

Your Full PC spec. would help as well.

Have a look around here!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=123&subid=1098

addz

Member +
What is your PSU make? Ball Bearing would be a lot better than anything else! Never heard of people replacing the PSU fans even if the computers were 20 years old -) You're the first one!

Normally it's advisable to replace the PSU, to something decent with 120 mm fan pointing on the CPU Radiator and no less than 500W, for example Gigabyte or OCZ is pretty good value for money! If you're concerned about the noise I can tell you a lot about how to make your PC as quiet as possible. And remember the bigger the fan the less is the noise.

Most of the people have cheap no name PSU and that is Crucial for the PC to have a decent one as if something goes wrong you would have to buy a new PC -) I've seen dozens of broken pc's due to bad PSU.

Your Full PC spec. would help as well.

Have a look around here!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=123&subid=1098

The PSU is ''win power atx-400''. As I was there cleaning out the fan (accumulated dust) I thought why bother further when I can replace with something more potent. Put everything back together to still have gridning nice. I didn't know I had to dab oil behind sticker as Asad mentioned, also with tips off youtube videos I should have done so.

I will remove again to oil behind sticker. My pc is an Packard bell iMedia so nothing fancy:

2Gb ram
200Gb harddrive
3.00Ghz
Geforce 7300 card

Paul_JJ

Member +
Is that Intel or AMD?
400W should be fine for your PC, it's pretty old, you can get something decent and cheap these days! But it you have old P4 - 3GHz - those were real hot CPU's (these days they're a lot colder).

I never put any oil on the fans...... it's up to you, I assume it wouldn't harm, but wouldn't do it myself. Buying another fan might help you to reduce the noise, the third cable is the speed sensor so you can just ignore it. But you have to make sure you connect it properly, if the fan won't start the PSU will burn within a few seconds, sometimes 30 sec, but that would depend on the make. All the ATX PSU will blow the air off the PSU, however the old AT did it the opposite way (it worked as well, that means if you mess up with +- and it'll blow the opposite way it'll work -)), but it's advisable to blow it off the case as it's pretty hot inside -)

In your case I would sell the pc and get something better. And if you're concerned about the noise and don't play any pc games, then definitely get a laptop. It'll save your electricity bill as well -)

addz

Member +
It's an intel, and besides this fan issue, the pc is strong. I also have a Sony laptop but being at home, I much rather use my pc. I do play games so would need the pc. Computers built today are just not the same in my opinion, especially reasonably priced stuff. I might be wrong or just showing plain ignorance. I will give the fan another clean and see how it goes. Also according to google and youtube, people do these conversions silly lol.

Thanks for your reply, and it's now time for me to go sleep:haha:

Paul_JJ

Member +
The computers - are not cars, they develop a lot quicker (a bit too slow during the last 2 years though). Getting DUAL core, would rip you 3ghz, not to mention the graphics card! Even if you get a chep 2 year old PC with a dual core and ATI 4870 graphics card - the performance would be increased in about 10 times!

In my opinion a 1 year old pc is like 10 year old car! So if your is about 5-6 years.........

Mine is 2 year old and pretty good.

addz

Member +
The computers - are not cars, they develop a lot quicker (a bit too slow during the last 2 years though). Getting DUAL core, would rip you 3ghz, not to mention the graphics card! Even if you get a chep 2 year old PC with a dual core and ATI 4870 graphics card - the performance would be increased in about 10 times!

In my opinion a 1 year old pc is like 10 year old car! So if your is about 5-6 years.........

Mine is 2 year old and pretty good.
Thanks for the heads up.

I never have been up-to-date with computers. It ends up costing too much, and if it isn't broke then.. The good old saying. I've never needed an up to date pc as everything I run has been suffice. Even my phone is 3 years of age lol. If replacing the fan for some reason doesnt work out, i'll get a new psu. Maybe next year i'll get a new unit, and hope you can advise me on a unit when time is right

lingl9z

Member +
Build ya self a pc mate ! My bros selling his pc built 3 months ago which cost 1k to build (virtually the best spec ATM) but will barely get 700 lol though I built mine cheap and does what I need :) but as you say ain't broke don't fix, and the fans mentioned above should be good!

Paul_JJ

Member +
I always build the computers myself, so I never buy desktop. I am more like you, I don't update it all the time and don't waste the money but roughly every 3 years change the PC to something decent but not the most expensive and my mobile phone is 4 year old, Sony Ericsson P990i - I don't want to replace it at all!

lingl9z

Member +
Haha awesome phone if it's the one I'm thinking of, is it touch screen with fold down keyboard? Yeah I do the same with pc if it needs an upgrade I'll buy a few bits! The prices in stores are unreal and are often very limited! Ie a lot of dells for example may have a fast CPU and a big hdd but nogfx card usually inboard ram may be 4gb but usually at the lower end of the range people that don't know about building hear 4gb ram, tb hdd 4core CPU and think wow that's awesome and buy it not knowing most games or what ever won't work lol!!

Paul_JJ

Member +
Yeah, that's the one. You can smash it of the wall put into water and it will still work with no probs at all -)It's rock solid with a good battery life up to 7-10 days!
You have a good point about the stores! But people don't know much about the pc's so......

addz

Member +
I am more likely to build one (had a look on ebay earlier, and wow, so many built units for sale). I would build one and keep it for several years, and I think these guys build to sell at profit possibly - fair play. They are getting better units opposed to shops.

I will build a pc in the imminent future. Build a unit that can outlast the age of my phone lol. And that SE you have - a mate of mine had it at college at the same time I had a Nokia 6600. At that time mine was a 60 series smart phone and his was a IQ smartphone or something. I had IR remote (control for anything) and the likes, just shed loads of bad ass softwares. He had a few amazing softwares too but I think mine was more better, oh, and more compact lol!

Paul_JJ

Member +
I can build one for you, let me know when you want to get it!
It is big, but my hands are not small either! You can install software on the phone if you really want to. I don't really fancy doing that, it's a phone, not a laptop in the pocket. If I need a laptop I have a laptop, if I need a desktop I have a desktop PC. if I need a camera I have a decent 20x Zoom, 12 Mpx camera. All that in one??? would be a piece of shit! (called Iphone).

Yeah I know IR remote, SE got that as well, but it's not that! It's Smart, very smart! Remembers everything you type in. Got Wi-FI, with OPERA Browser, full keyboard - that is why I like it, and size it's a not an issue, I wudn't want a small phone anyway. Even though it looks big, it's quite light! So far, I don't want to replace it!

addz

Member +
Will get in touch when time is right.

Oh dear, you sound like this senile old man I once worked with. Always ranting saying a phone should be a phone not a music player, a camera, coloured screen. I mean come on, time moves and so should we. I absolutely love my Nokia N82, got opera on it too, works like charms, and when I'm not home, it's next to best when laptops not about. I also have a high MP camera, but I can't and don't always carry that with me, that's why my N82 comes perfect. Got to love contraptions

Paul_JJ

Member +
I'm very old fashioned man -) All in one never be the same quality! What I really hate when people get a phone because of how many mpixels it has or because it's "cool". That is what I simply don't understand. Or people saying to me that My phone is shit because it's old! Same with my car!