Peoples opinions on chatter, how safe is it?

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
Hi.

I have an hks ssqv replica dv that was working fine until I fitted a fmic. Now instead of dumping I get chatter, or if I nail it I get a dump followed by chatter (but sounds more like its dumping through the air filter not the dv). I want to run 1 bar on a standard CT9. Should I be thinking about buying an adjustable bov,as I'm guessing mine has a hard spring and I don't think it's adjustable.

As cool as chatter sounds I would profer it to dump, and I don't want to risk any damage as a result.

Stulet-GTT

Member +
Dont mean to be rude but do a good search as this has been covered so much you should be able to find something on it...

I personally have tryed 3different bov's and didnt like any of them, preffer the chatter more.A friend of mine is running about 1bar on ct9 with no bov and the other weekend he made 197bhp on the roller's....

Its more a personal choice really...

whiteglanzav

Member +
who cares how safe it is i just love the sound !!!!!

but seriously its quite safe its not been 100% proven that it does wreck turbos but it may shorten the life of it a little !!

mctagart

Member +
I have been ragging my car around as a track bitch for god knows how long now and i have never had any issues with it.

I have no dump valve and its always been set up to chatter through the turbo. So im proof in the pudding it doesnt do anything other than sound cool!

Sigma

Member +
Done about 22,000miles on a CT9 with no DV :)

A little bit in the baring, but it doesn't smoke and goes like it should :)

GT_Irl

Member +
Mine chatters low down and dumps high up, never had any issues and it sounds mint so how bad!:)

lingl9z

Member +
My gen HKS SSQV did the exact same when I put on FMIC I could however adjust it with the screw in the back!. I think 1bar on a ct9 wouldnt be enough to cause any damage, look at hi spec s13's etc with no bov 2.5 bar and still running :)

andy87

Member +
i had this same issue with my blitz dump valve

i found out it was the diameter of rubber piping used from the inlet to the dump valve

i had fuel line rubber piping(10 or 11mm not sure) on mine and it dumped all the time

then i fitted my boost gauge and used the 5mm rubber piping that was supplied with the gauge for all the connections and then the dump valve just chattered al the time

i even took the dump valve off and cleaned it to make sure it wasnt sticking as they are piston type

i just changed back to the fuel line piping

hope this helps mate

Fro

Member +
I ran my ct9 at 1bar with no dv for 13,000 kms (plus whatever the previous owner done) and the turbo was pretty much mint when i took it off to swap it for a hybrid. Usual little crack in the gate but no shaft play or smoke.

I cant say if its safe or not but i had no problems with mine

Guye

Lifer
I have a fake hks ssqv fitted and you adjust the sensitivity by turning the screw at the back. At first mine would dump for everything, so I adjusted it to chatter on low psi throttle lifts but dump anything over 8psi (it took a bit of road testing). My favorite is when I get a combination high pitch dump followed by like 2 seconds of chatter. I love it. It's been like that almost 3 years, 15psi with no issues.

GT_Chris

Member +
do u need certain parts to achice the chatter sound? ie d/v , fmic ect

If you mean to make it louder? then a FMIC makes chatter louder or sound different cause all that compressed air had to go through all that pipe work, there for it makes it sound louder

But i love chatter, i still got my TMIC but with meshed turbo, and i love the sound, just cant wait to get a front mount :cool:

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
Wow what a great response, nice one guys :beer: As people don't seem to have had any troubles with it, I think I may take the dv off altogether and see what it sounds like then :) Turn so many heads with chatter lol even at low rpm I've noticed people turn to look at you haha.

Knightsy-EP91

Member +
Just take it off for now mate your ct9 has the seals going anyway :rockon:

Mine dumps at WOT and chatters at little with the dv at low rpm best of both worlds :D

Sigma

Member +
I should get a video of my GT when it's together, with a tiny filter mounted on the blower, it sounds nuts :)

I might as well try the no BOV thing as well. I have a Fake HKS SSQV and also an Original Greddy RS but i don't really like the sound of either.

So if i take the BOV off, what do i do with the vaccum hose line?

GT_Chris

Member +
Well ive had no BV on my car since last summer and my turbo is still holding up strong (touch wood)

But the chatter is so loud cause i took the EFi pipe off, and yeh it turns head eveytime you let of the throttle :cool: