picked my car up

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
after having the head ported and polished and went for a bit of a duel carriage way blast. I put my foot down and felt it pull really well. Was really impressed. Then i noticed my boost guage and I was boosting at 1.2 bar instead of the normal 1 bar. Also high in the rev range it feels really "spluttery" a bit similar to fuel cut (not as harsh) but with no engine warning light. Is over boosting a common thing after head work? Also any ideas why it might not be running well high up the revs? Would it be due to not having enough fuel for the extra boost?

youd more likley just run lean in the high revsa if your car is only mapped to 1 bar and your running 1.2 bar it sounds more like a problem with the dizzy cap or something?

before i replaced my dizzy cap mine used to splutter around the 5k revs mark..

starbogt

Member +
if you've had the head flowed it will make better boost cos of less restriction you need to drice steady and get it set up properly or it will be a waste of time.

monka

Member +
after having the head ported and polished and went for a bit of a duel carriage way blast. I put my foot down and felt it pull really well. Was really impressed. Then i noticed my boost guage and I was boosting at 1.2 bar instead of the normal 1 bar. Also high in the rev range it feels really "spluttery" a bit similar to fuel cut (not as harsh) but with no engine warning light. Is over boosting a common thing after head work? Also any ideas why it might not be running well high up the revs? Would it be due to not having enough fuel for the extra boost?

sounds like a bit of a misfire, i had this in a skyline gts-t once, only did above 5k on full boost, we replaced the plugs and cleaned the coil packs out, so check your plugs leads rotor+cap and coil

Andyep82

Member +
i had this on mine after first running a 1bar turned out to be dizzy cap and i changed the rotar arm while i was at it too

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
thanks for the replies lads but can you elaborate? The dizzy, plugs (which are brand new) and leads (which are only a couple of months old) are the cause of the misfire? Whats causing the over boost?

Adam_Glanza

Member +
your probably just leaning out, as others have said its much easier for the engine to breathe / make boost now because of less restrictions!

would get it remapped

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
ok but its only set up with an fcd and safc using an avcr to control the boost. I've got an air filter relocation kit on the way, got a feeling that really won't help it. So the general opinion is just get it all set up again (safc/avcr) and that should sort it?

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
headwork may help it come on boost earlier but it shouldn't affect the amount of boost you are running as that should be controlled by the actuator/boost controller. check those areas

Jules-B

Member +
you find the diagnostics port. which is near the stock airbox position. open it up and bridge ports T1 and TE1.