piggy back ecu or stand alone management or new ecu?

quick question on what would be best to get for my car, im getting a front mount intercooler, 4 branch mani and decat, just wondering what to do managment wise ive only ever installer a hks FCD so thats the only experience i have so any input would be greatly appreciated Also how hard to fit these things because im not spectacular with wires :( my aim for now is to get the car running 1.0 bar wit stock ct9 wit whatever mods i need and in time td04 :)

Last edited:

TheStarletGT

Member +
The most crucial thing for upmost power is a aftemarket computer. Im telling this as i run 2 ecus on different circumstances. My starlet came with a full running Microtech ecu and the car is a dinosaur in the power department. If i want to drive for fuel economy (ONLY), i switch plugs for the standard ecu. There is major difference from a full ecu as opposed to the standard ecu.

There is absolutely no point in fitting bigger turbos or headwork or anything when using a standard computer.

sanchez

Member +
Your best bet woul be an EMB i would think mate, it would do nicely on the ct9 setup with the mods you have and if your planning on going td04 in the future, then all your car would need is a remap to the new turbo :)

@ thestarletgt i wish i had your car lol i know i need so form of ecu anyway thats a given ive seen alot of lads putting in bigger turbos hybrids nd running 1.2 nd 1.4 bar on stock engines nd ecus with just fcds they dont last long, any ideas how much someting like your setup costs and it had to be mapped aswell they dont come premapped? im having more luck on this question than my other thread about my dumpvalve/boost problem!!

@ sanchez thats the emanage blue? ul have to bare with me im not too up on the ecus nd things lol but does this come mapped or do u do it yourself or how does it work? im just trying to gather information on these things so ill get the rite thing to suit my car i was looking at a hybrid turbo looks like sumthing off a lorry but its a kinda home made job bit rough round the edges has down pipe and externat waste gate, bt the was a bit of play in the shaft left to right but not up nd down is that normal?

Thanks for the info :)

Last edited:

Chris@CCM

Member +
Go for a megasquart , haltech , link or apexi PFC if u want a good ecu
I can fit and map all of them if needed

Last edited:

TheStarletGT

Member +
@ thestarletgt i wish i had your car lol i know i need so form of ecu anyway thats a given ive seen alot of lads putting in bigger turbos hybrids nd running 1.2 nd 1.4 bar on stock engines nd ecus with just fcds they dont last long, any ideas how much someting like your setup costs and it had to be mapped aswell they dont come premapped? im having more luck on this question than my other thread about my dumpvalve/boost problem!!

When it comes to upgrading, there is 3 major things required >

1: Exhuast manifold
2: Turbo
3: Aftermarket ecu

So cost wise, you could find a manifold for like $250-$600, depending on quality. Turbo wise, you could find one on ebay or forums for like a couple hundred. ECU wise, its hard to say, cos its like a needle in the hay stack. Just depends cos you could find a ecu for peanuts on ebay, or brand new from suppliers.

For example, a Microtech ecu here in Australia brand new would cost approc $1050. But in ebay, you could get one for like $300- $450. So you see, there are so many options. My advice to you is to get a common ecu that is widely used.

Most expensive > Motech, Autronic
Most popular > Microtech, haltech, EMS.
Least used now adays > Wolf
Other : Emanage, Mega squirt

Get a ecu that you can find parts easy and also widely known by tuners. No point in spending $50,000 for a ecu if your tuner knows jack shet about it.

The number 1 thing for power in starlet or any other car is a aftermarket ecu, i know this from experience with my GT. As i said, i run the MT one day and the standard ecu the next, MAJOR difference. Absolutely major difference. Like i said, i only will run the standard ecu for its fuel economy, nothing else. power? nup, waste of time.

Chris@CCM

Member +
If ur aftermarket ecu was tuned and set up good it should be as easy if not better on fuel then the stock ecu

@ thestarletgt im getting the front mount for 390 euros brand new from my supplier who is half a mile from where i live he dosent kno too much about ecus or things but he can get anything i want bou 50 euros cheaper than other tuning places in the part of the country i live so ill bear with him :) im getting an apexi cat back exhaust system second had on wensday, japspeed decat very shortly aswell as for the manifold i was looking at a second hand one auto bahn 88 brand but it was cracked and the fella welded it nd it looks brutal now so i think ill leave it there, havent seen many aftermarket ecus second hand around on the irish car sites but ill keep looking, you know the way your saying you change ur ecus when u want fuel economy is that hard cuz i no the ecu in starlets is in an awkward place behind the dash? does the new ecu delimit the car and can you set a boost limit?

Last edited:
Go for a megasquart , haltech , link or apexi PFC if u want a good ecu
I can fit and map all of them if needed

how much do you charge to supply, fit and map any of these ecus, i havent a clue on this side of modding but i need enuff to run 1.0 bar boost with room to improve on it if i get the td04 i was looking at one for 300 + 120 with the down pipe would it be waste of time running a td04 at 1 bar?

TheStarletGT

Member +
It doesnt take long to switch ecus, check these pics out. Its via an adapter. There is no wiring or modification to the standard wiring loom/plugs on the gt, it plugs straight in to the adapter to work with the MT. Im pretty happy with this as its always a good backup if 1 ecu fails or something.

yes i see its very handy the way your set up i am definatly goin to get it done but i wont under take the job myself ill get a pro to sort out my electrics ill stick to what i know i can do :) i was looking at a haltech sprint 500 and it looks good and has sensors and all with it but do all the ecus come wit the adapters for
specific cars oh ya i repd u for all the help nd the pics were great to help with the understanding of how u switch over and back between the two but do u have to lower your boost or anything when you change back to standard ecu?

Chris@CCM

Member +
i could make any ecu u like in to a plug in kit if u like fitted and maped for a sprint 500 ur talking around 350 i dont sell u ecus you would have to buy one but fitting would not be a problem if u wanted it on a plug in kit

i could make any ecu u like in to a plug in kit if u like fitted and maped for a sprint 500 ur talking around 350 i dont sell u ecus you would have to buy one but fitting would not be a problem if u wanted it on a plug in kit

well theres plenty of second hand stuff bt theres no way to tell if its gud :( so ill prob hafta get it new of my supplier his name is ken quinlan hes a panel beater and has performance shop aswel its called abs designs its in tallow ware im living so he be worth a go to get a new ecu but he doesnt fit anyting like, so might hafto try mad racing in waterford city or xtreme autos, 350 sounds very good i must look at d aul map nd see how far away you are from me :) i got a second hand turbo tonight in very good condition im very happy its all coming together way faster than i thought it would!

churcherj

Member +
the likes of haltech, link ecu are very good ecus, they have awesome features but also a high price tag, to run 1 bar on a ct9 i dont think it would justify spending that much on such a good ecu, a half decent piggyback such as an emanage blue/ultimate will do the job fine for what power your after, and they are easy to come by....just my opinion though mate.....

the likes of haltech, link ecu are very good ecus, they have awesome features but also a high price tag, to run 1 bar on a ct9 i dont think it would justify spending that much on such a good ecu, a half decent piggyback such as an emanage blue/ultimate will do the job fine for what power your after, and they are easy to come by....just my opinion though mate.....

any input is welcome as i havent spent anything yet on this mod lol trying to get it for xmas off a sister would help tho :p ha ha i want to run 1 bar on the ct9 for now but will b impossible with my turbo as the stupid thing only holding .4 or .5 bar :( on a gud day, im after sumthing that will add fueling, speed delimiter and take away fuel cut also come with the sensor for air temp and water temp and the boost map sensor! i no im asking for alot vut want to go bigger turbo in the future had horrible experiences wit fuel cut with ep82 nd ep91, the the V did it a .8 and the GT at 1.0 bar but the gt later wrecked the engine from running lean :homer: nd there isnt a hope im lettn that happn my new baby :D

Last edited:

Steve GT

Member +
id deffo say if you wanted 1 bar on a ct9 or hybrid to go plug and play there deffo well suited for a lowish boost set up and run the car brilliantly

but if you eventually want to go td04 deffo best saving the money for an emanage blue or ultimate then get it mapped to your mods :)