Piggyback or Stand Alone in 2023

rastah

Member +
Good day guys, i would just like to ask what are your inputs/opinions regarding the topic above.

My Dilemma is i currently have a E-Manage Blue lying around not yet installed but it is hard for me to find a installer/tuner well i have manage to find one but considering others as well.

Most of the tuners i have spoke to is suggesting maybe if i would consider going to a much more recent EMS/stand alone ECU like mainly Megasquirt MS2 so the effort wont be wasted.

i do not plan going all out, just want to have a reliable tune for my set up for touring maybe 1 bar on my TD04L less than if tuner think its not capable.

Maybe try joining a local drag event here just for experience

Below are the stuff i have manage to put in the car by the way over the years

toyota 4efte 3rd AT ecu on manual transmission
Stock injectors
stock engine internals
Exedy tripuck clutch
walbro ti 255lph fuel pump
tdo4l turbo with HKS Internal wastegate actuator Ramhorn Style manifold
Front mount intercooler
2.5 exhaust
upgraded fuel line AN -6
Sard fuel pressure regulator
Greddy Profec B Spec 2

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated thank you in advance.

Last edited:
just my opinion...i've ran emanage ultimate since 2007/2008,,it was affordable back then and it has been good for me to this day...however, i would not recommend emb/emu in 2023,,,,additonally, i would not recommend MS either as some people had some hiccups with it on the 4e/5e set up

at a minimum, i'd suggest a capable standalone...Link ecu seems to get good reviews and results on this forum,,,some have tried AEM with good feedback as well ..i suppose you can make a plug and play harness, which would save time and be neat and tidy

its best to talk to your potential tuners,,,see what they have experience with as they are the ones that will tune it

rastah

Member +
just my opinion...i've ran emanage ultimate since 2007/2008,,it was affordable back then and it has been good for me to this day...however, i would not recommend emb/emu in 2023,,,,additonally, i would not recommend MS either as some people had some hiccups with it on the 4e/5e set up

at a minimum, i'd suggest a capable standalone...Link ecu seems to get good reviews and results on this forum,,,some have tried AEM with good feedback as well ..i suppose you can make a plug and play harness, which would save time and be neat and tidy

its best to talk to your potential tuners,,,see what they have experience with as they are the ones that will tune it
Sad to say i might cross out Link, the G4+ Monsoon cost 1,498.85 USD here in my Country

mycars12

Member +
Im personally running a microsquirt (smaller version of the megasquirt)
Utilizing the 96 tercel block. It has a 36-2 trigger wheel and sensor on the oil pump. Perfect for standalones.
Running the car on pump and e85 with no hiccups at all.

rastah

Member +
Im personally running a microsquirt (smaller version of the megasquirt)
Utilizing the 96 tercel block. It has a 36-2 trigger wheel and sensor on the oil pump. Perfect for standalones.
Running the car on pump and e85 with no hiccups at all.
was also considering the microsquirt due to budget constraints and done some research it seems like the 4e-fte 24 tooth engine speed with 1 vr sensor and 1 tooth with 2 vr sensors on the cam is quite troublesome to set up.

dark_knight

Member +
was also considering the microsquirt due to budget constraints and done some research it seems like the 4e-fte 24 tooth engine speed with 1 vr sensor and 1 tooth with 2 vr sensors on the cam is quite troublesome to set up.

Seems like good advice.. especially about the trouble-to-set-up bit.. :)

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
I have a ME221 going in but with a 4E corolla Crank trigger, should hopefully help with the cam trigger issues

rastah

Member +
Seems like good advice.. especially about the trouble-to-set-up bit.. :)
I meant no disrespect to MS users really happy to the guys who managed to have it running flawlessly on their vehicles.

Reason i have that on the back of my mind is i wanted to be able to return the stock ecu. I have talked one of the insstaller here and done some research it seems like we have to grind one of the tooth on the 24 tooth wheel

gibby1980

Member +
I meant no disrespect to MS users really happy to the guys who managed to have it running flawlessly on their vehicles.

Reason i have that on the back of my mind is i wanted to be able to return the stock ecu. I have talked one of the insstaller here and done some research it seems like we have to grind one of the tooth on the 24 tooth wheel
Build a jumper harness so you can return to a stock ECU at anytime. A few builds are running well on the MS2/3 here in Barbados. I currently use the AEM ems-4 (Fairly old by today's standards) and I use the 24-1 with no grinding.

Attachments

• Cranks.jpg
    Cranks.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 2
  • cranks2.jpg
    cranks2.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 2

gibby1980

Member +
Build a jumper harness so you can return to a stock ECU at anytime. A few builds are running well on the MS2/3 here in Barbados. I currently use the AEM ems-4 (Fairly old by today's standards) and I use the 24-1 with no grinding.
Attached is the MS and AEM ignition options.