Pistons

terrygtturbo

Member +
Does it matter if I use a piston without the matching number/letter on or does number 2 have to be out of a number 2 piston off a different engine as I'm building 1 good engine out of 2 nackered ones! Cheers!

TheStarletGT

Member +
You must use the piston corresponding to that cylinder as they have different bore size etc. Unless you rebore, then it should not matter with oversize pistons.

dark_knight

Member +
i doubt they measure the same. i'm sure toyota wouldn't have insisted that you use either piston # '1', '2' or '3' to the matching cylinder unless there was a reason.. :)

weeJohn

Lifer
Each number piston size is 0.01mm larger than the last, so they will make a difference in piston to bore clearance. Ring gaps are equally as important and moving them from engine to engine will affect their gaps more so than the piston clearance. I have done this before and its only a short term repair, if you intend to push the engine then then my advice would be to do it right, or you will end up doing it again.

dark_knight

Member +
AdamB, you misunderstood my question. let me say it this way; so you've pulled out your brand new oem rings from toyota out of the box and have put them in the bore and measured the end-gap.. and found that it's not up to spec. what do you do then..? is it that the box supplied contains different sized rings (which i doubt) or how then do you increase/decrease the gap.. now do you follow..?

AdamB

Member +
You increase the gap by grinding them, either with a file or a bench grinder. Have to be careful as the edges have to be square. If the gap is already too large, then you get new rings.
You'll probably find its quite rare that end gaps are too large from factory, it's always better to be too small and allow the builder to adjust them, rather than having to source more sets of rings till you find some that are in spec.

weeJohn

Lifer
File them to fit. If you measure the gap and its to small, I lightly put the ring in a vice, then file 1 side a little. Then take it out and squeeze the ends together to check the end you have filed is square, compared to the end you have not filed. Repeat until the gaps are correct, then clean off any burrs on the filed end REALLY WELL. If there are any burs, it can cause the rings to stick in the ringlands, nearly the most important part that.