plea to all members

turbo-dan

Member +
i think i may have a head gaskit problem and am going to buy a pressure tester in morning wanting to now exactly how to preforma pressure test

any advice will be greatly appretiated and would be a worth while sticky or being put in resolved section :)

Spoonz

Member +
you on bout a compressor tester.
All you do take the king lead of.
Pull 1 spark plug out put the tester in turn it over and it will give you a reading do this process for all 4 cylinders

turbo-dan

Member +
all it is did a bit of research and on few sites it took me to they were disconecting fuel pump and all sorts

also should i be looking for around 150 give or take ????

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
The gauge wil have a green area on it, as long as it's in there your good to go! Just remember that not all head gasket failures will show up on the compression test, best to do a sniffer test too.

jabran200

Member +
they take the fuel pump out beacuse they don't want to flood the cylinders. In your car you can remove the efi/fuel pump fuse or the the ecu one.

and then just screw out the spark plug in 1 cylinder and screw the machine in, foot down full throttle and crank. do the same for cylinder 2,3,4.

Last edited:

Dave.

Member +
Spot on advice there jabran,

150 would be an excellent reading, i've seen many people on here return readings of around 130 too especially on cylinder 3.

Dave

Dave.

Member +
I'd say so yea, most results i've read on here have been in the 130-160 range! with the 3rd cylinder being significantly lower in almost all cases (due to manifold restriction, or so I've been told!)

Dave

poketroket

Fresh Recruit
You could simply check if you have water leaking into the cylinders by looking under your oil filler cap and seeing if you have a white coloured pasty stuff.this would indicate a blown head gasket

riko666

Member +
not always - you also get it if you only do short journeys, not enough to completely vapourise any moisture in the engine...I know, in my n00b days, years ago I shat myself at the site of the Mayonnaise...

Last edited:

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
not always - you also get it if you only do short journeys, not enough to completely vapourise any moisture in the engine...I know, in my n00b days I shat myself at the site of the Mayonnaise...

Same happened to me a few weeks back when the car wasn't driven for a week or two. Shat myself aswell for a bit

turbo-dan

Member +
that is exactly the reason why am wanting to cheak headgaskit as there was mayo under filler cap but car has been stood for 3 months now and only did a few trips to work when got parts fitted 2 weeks ago and it is only a 5-6 mile round trip so could just be that hopefully

TurboDave

Member +
If you havent been using your car and now when you do use it you have a little white/cream residue under the oil filler cap then I wouldnt waste your time on a compression test.

:).