police loop hole??

GT_Neil

Member +
I read somewhere (car forum probably) that if you over pay your fine for a 3 point ticket then you don't get the 3 points?

I was using my phone whilst almost stationary on a motorway turn around point so i feel a bit hard done by since its not a public road and i was doing about 1mph saying i cant talk.

Just wondering because no one needs 3 points....

dan_ep82

Member +
yea apparently if you send a cheque over the fine amount say the fines £60 you send £65 they give you a cheque back for £5 if you never cash it 'apparetly' you dont get the 3 points as its computer controlled system and points are not issued untill the computer registers the transactions complete.

thats what i heard anyway

GT_Neil

Member +
what i heared too, i'd rather loose a 5va than have 3 points so might as well give it a go.

they probably won't send my license back untill i cash the cheque or something though :(

John757

Member +
As said in another thread, this would come under perversing the course of justice. There's a law for almost everything lol.

goldenvtr

Member +
if you send £75 then you can say you thought you needed to add the VAT. its 15£ more but then you have an argument to your extra funds if they query it later on. no idea if all this theory is correct on the other hand.

Ryno

Member +
yea apparently if you send a cheque over the fine amount say the fines £60 you send £65 they give you a cheque back for £5 if you never cash it 'apparetly' you dont get the 3 points as its computer controlled system and points are not issued untill the computer registers the transactions complete.

thats what i heard anyway

dosn't work, trust me ;)

Sean_GT

Member +
But if so many people know about this little trick surly the police are going to be wise to it by now

Ryno

Member +
only thing that will happen is them sending you the cheque back asking for the correct amount until it's too late to take up the fixed penalty and you get a court summons..... tbh i'd personally pay the fixed penalty then explain to a magistrate that the guys on TGTT told me i might be able to get out of it, and then get slapped with court fees, poss higher fine, poss more points!

GTnomez

Member +
if you send £75 then you can say you thought you needed to add the VAT. its 15£ more but then you have an argument to your extra funds if they query it later on. no idea if all this theory is correct on the other hand.

did you get done for your points?? even though you had the original issued form?

CMR

Member +
Doesn't work, there was a documentary on tv the other week highlighting the 'rumour's like this one to get out of speeding fines.

Shorty

Member +
my girlfriends dad is an ex-cop, and just to try and help clear up the rumors once and for all, the only way out of any point / penalty related situation, is if the police miss-spell or make any other clear mistake on any of the forms or letters that they send or give to you, and thats about the only way of maybe getting out of anything :) hope it helps every one

Glanza-V

Banned
tbh i'd personally pay the fixed penalty then explain to a magistrate that the guys on TGTT told me i might be able to get out of it, and then get slapped with court fees, poss higher fine, poss more points!

lmfao ... that cracked me up

Nwimie

Member +
easy answer is to not use your phone ;] most people have been issued points and a fine for speeding or somethin simular live and learn Law is there for a reason.