porting and polish the head

carrington865

Member +
as above. does anyone have any knowledge on doing this? is it worth getting done, will it give power gains to justify the cost?

its another tuning avenue i am looking at

Glanza_cl

Member +
on a turbo car the gains will never be as noticeable as a N/A as the turbo does the brunt of the work, but with proper head work nice gains can be had with better flow and spool up times.

a prime example of this is DubSeven who had alot of head work done and saw just over 200bhp with supporting mods from a CT9!!

STARLET N/A

Member +
How much power do u reckon port and polishing will give a n/a with full exhaust system,rolla inlet manifold,custom exhaust mani, induction kit, rrfpr?

Also will the car need mapping after this?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I always thought porting could increase lag due to less pressure of the exiting gas.

Glanza_cl

Member +
obviously it will have it's greatest effect with uprated boost levels e.g. 1bar and it would have a good response less boost and you properly wont notice much difference.

i dont think it would induce to much lag as the if anything the gasses will be escaping quicker due to the smoother path with no obstruction, hence why it can increase spool time.

@STARLET N/A i think you might see 5-10bhp increase with a proper porting with supporting mods but that cant be guaranteed, but just to give a rough figure i would say around that.

as said Dub is the man to give more info as he has done it all and can give you the benefits and disadvantages.

carrington865

Member +
cheers guys i am running 1 bar supporting fuelling on full system,mani,decat, relocation filter,etc. will be getting mapped soon. i am looking to make 180ish after mapping but i want to achieve a high torque figure too so it pulls well at any rev range

STARLET N/A

Member +
@STARLET N/A i think you might see 5-10bhp increase with a proper porting with supporting mods but that cant be guaranteed, but just to give a rough figure i would say around that.

as said Dub is the man to give more info as he has done it all and can give you the benefits and disadvantages.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input, how much does porting and polishing cost?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.

as said Dub is the man to give more info as he has done it all and can give you the benefits and disadvantages.

Thanks for the input, how much does porting and polishing cost?[/QUOTE]

i think over there labour is fuckin expensive and makes it not worth it for 5 break!

Glanza_cl

Member +
yeah labour and time takes the piss which is why it's not really done as the cost out ways the benefits.

it can be done by hand but really isnt recommended, simple polishing and smoothing off the rough(ish) internals can be done but when i comes down to porting and taking off mm of internals it isnt really advisable to do DIY style. all engines have tolerances and doing it yourself could just completely f#ck you engine if you dont know what your doing lol.

munday

Member +
on a turbo car the gains will never be as noticeable as a N/A as the turbo does the brunt of the work, but with proper head work nice gains can be had with better flow and spool up times.

a prime example of this is DubSeven who had alot of head work done and saw just over 200bhp with supporting mods from a CT9!!

I wouldnt agree with it not being as effective on turbo cars

southwalesgt

Member +
Had my head polished and ported when the head was off after gasket failure. To be honest I bought the car with the gasket problem so couldnt say if its quicker now than prior to work being done. I had it done at the place that was skimming the head. Had it pressure tested before the work, and after and was fine. It wasnt cheap though. I think he booked out a days labour for the work at trade cost. I wouldnt have had it done but I figured whilst its off I may aswell.

Glanza_cl

Member +
I wouldnt agree with it not being as effective on turbo cars

it will still be effective but i dont think it would be as noticeable as you already have the turbo creating a combustion for intake, were as on an N/A there is nothing so with a newly port and polished head the effects would be a lot more noticeable.

but i'm straying off topic... carrington865 give it a go :) get a spare crappy head for cheap and give that a trail run, then if it all turns out good give yours a turn obviously just taking your time lol

carrington865

Member +
when i have a bit of money and a glanza is breakin i will buy the head off it and take it into work. i work on the shop floor as a fitter/turner/miller so should have all resources to do job.

Toyota T23

Member +
Make sure, those guys who do the work, have flow bench, to prove that they did a good job, or even better, do the flow test before/after in another place.

AdamB

Member +
What do you mean flow dynamics? You loose pressure and gas velocity the greater the area. Stock heads are good for 300+bhp.