Possible wheel bearing problem

Jdace

I was driving along and I started to hear a small clunk clunk. My original thought was I just had a flat tyre, turns out it wasn't that easy. Now, I couldn't quite feel it, just hear it. It is coming from the front left. It doesn't sound like a CV joint, CV joint I know sounds like rapid clicking. This is slower clicking- in time with the wheel speed, I can hear the speed of the sound change as I slow down. I can't hear it speeding up, but once I am to to say about 50km I can hear it. I drove it for about 20mins and parked, the sound wasn't too bad.. Going home it was a lot louder. Significantly louder when I turn left, the sound is medium when going straight, can't hear it turning right.. I can't feel it through the wheel.

Now, I jacked the car up, gave the wheel a wiggle, it was wiggly enough that the rotor can touch the brake pads, gave it a spin, couldnt say there was a unusual sound, but it didn't spin freely as I would expect a wheel too..

Thanks for the read guys. Is it a hard job? 95 starlet gt fwd. Had a few looks on youtube and some seem easy, some are hard. Am a little bit sketchy about greasing the bearings, and tightening that nut, apparently very crucial if i get it wrong?

aidan

Member +
oh and front wheel bearings are generally pre greased and to tighten the drive nut just use a power bar

Jdace

oh and front wheel bearings are generally pre greased and to tighten the drive nut just use a power bar

yeah but if i tighten the nut too much doesnt it screw the bearing up? I have seen bearings, they seem oiled, not greased?. And, I cant overgrease/undergrease it?

Oh, and does my problem sound like a typical wheel bearing problem? Iv watched a bit on youtube, and it doesnt sound as bad as the vids on there. theres no squeak

Last edited:

charlieingram

Fresh Recruit
yeah but if i tighten the nut too much doesnt it screw the bearing up? I have seen bearings, they seem oiled, not greased?. And, I cant overgrease/undergrease it?

Oh, and does my problem sound like a typical wheel bearing problem? Iv watched a bit on youtube, and it doesnt sound as bad as the vids on there. theres no squeak

the bearings are greased from factory and also sealed on the front i believe... rears can be re-packed with grease if rough, and nipped slightly for play. front (could be wrong) are replace only. and the hub nut will have torque settings but would say you will struggle to damage anything with a bar.... we use windy gun or breaker bars at work and never broke one, worst case you'l strip the threads on driveshaft if you have arms like HULK