Powder coating Wheels - BAD IDEA

Gryzor

Admin
Ref. http://www.rarerims.co.uk/rarerimsblog_ind.asp?id=34

"Just thought id add a little blog up, to make people aware of the risk of damage that powdercoating wheels can have.

Essentially powdercoating wheels if done at too high a temperature CAN weaken an alloy wheel.

As such we do not warranty wheels that have been powdercoated, spray them as much as you want, polish them if you want, but powdercoating is a no-no

Heres a picture of an S2000 wheel (OEM Honda) 100% reliable standard wheel.

This guy had them powdercoated and the first time out this happened to ALL four of his wheels.

The other picture is a standard 350Z wheel, AGAIN powdercoated."
click pictures for bigger image..

Phil

Super Moderator
^^ thats why im not getting mine powder coated,

nothing to do with a lack of funds at all lol

Phil

edit i cant rep richey for this post(spread it round etc etc) so someone rep the man for that great piece of info.

azerty

Supermoderator
good info there.

Gryzor, as you seem to know about rims. I'm looking for 17*8" offset 30 pcd 5*100 rims
Do you know which models are available is this very specific spec ?

Texx

Super Moderator
edit i cant rep richey for this post(spread it round etc etc) so someone rep the man for that great piece of info.

Done! :)

Heating an alloy wheel is a dangerous game. I remember a few years back when working for Toyota, we had an IS200 returned (in quite a sorry state). The owner had the wheels refurbished by an outside company, I'm not sure who and whilst travelling down the motorway in the outside lane the spokes broke free of the rim on one of the front wheels. It sent the car into the central reservation killing both the driver and passenger. :eek:

Rory

Lifer
Bear in mind, if the powder coating process is done properly you wont have an issue. ;)

Yet to see an issue in over 6 years of driving, from the company i use.
And yes they have been around longer than me..

dac69er

Super Moderator
its like alot of things in life. if done properly its fine. its just when its done badly it isnt good at all

LoganK

Member +
Bear in mind, if the powder coating process is done properly you wont have an issue. ;)

Yet to see an issue in over 6 years of driving, from the company i use.
And yes they have been around longer than me..

who do you use rory ? :)
Im in scotland and want mine done! Thanks

Gryzor

Admin
but is it the best option ? I mean, I haven't heard good feedback only from those spacers... vibrations.

i would rather find some rims with proper offset if there is. just don't know if there is :(

Azerty,
You've very little to choose from, if anything, Hart Racing may do them but I can't find a set.
If you could have an offset of +32 there is a few more options ? 17x8J ET32 5x100.

Lawrence

Member +
I also had bad experience with powder coating, i got a motorbike frame powdercoated, and when i went to pick it up it had all ripples in the side obviously were it had gotten to hot. So beware and go with a good company if you gonna get it done.