Pro Vs Amateur detailling

alan_d

Lifer
As per Darkies post about not being a Pro, can fault be found in any of the following?

Its much the same as tuning in my opinion, as there are lots of guys here who tune as a hobby, or for spare £££ but dont own a garage or work in one.
Does not being pro make anyone less the enthusiast?
Are there benefits to being pro?

Discuss!

781260146a7908784666l.jpg

781260146a5319412686l.jpg

781260146a5319412060l.jpg

781260146a5319431521l.jpg

781260146a4716468523l.jpg

781260146a4716419076l.jpg

781260146a6458461828l.jpg

781260146a6494931313l.jpg

781260146a6494944963l.jpg

781260146a5489960998l.jpg

781260146a5489960868l.jpg

Love this wee wagon:

781260146a6970939737l.jpg

781260146a6970922233l.jpg

781260146a6970922131l.jpg

781260146a6970927400l.jpg

Last edited:

Darkie

i only said better for a pro to do it because if you do all the work your own how will the poor guys eat??

Anyway to sort this out you are better off your own if you get the hand on polishing
you can do the same job as a pro would do it isnt that difficult.

Last edited:

Spoonz

Member +
not getting involed in this disscussion.
But the glanza looked better pink hahaha.

On a more serious note that 1st comparison is absolutly amazing i would love to be able to have the confidance to use all these chemicals and stuff. Polish thats it for me lol

irishboy

Fresh Recruit
ye u can damage the paint but its not actully that hard to polish once u take ur time im not a pro at this buy no meens but i spent about 2-3 years doing this in a garage wit lots off mistakes along the way but im quite good at it now :) but anyways i hate polishing ..well in work anyway so fair play alan if thats wat u like doing ..

alan_d

Lifer
its a positive discussion but,
Its to see what peoples opinions are, as its often a reaction I face as an amateur, in that these are peoples pride and joy, and the potential is there for a clampit to destroy someones pride and joy quite easily.
Would you be happier leaving into a fancy premesis with a dear quote, or with less outlay with a local enthusiast?

I value opinions, I wasnt having a knock at Darkie in any way, sorry if it looked like that, just it sparked an idea in my head about how people feel on the pro V amateur matter.

Im no different in any way to you spoonz, use mine as inspiration to maybe take it up yourself! you'll love the satisfaction it gives! get your ass over to detailling world quicksharp!

Please people, post your own efforts too, lets get an overall opinion on what the consensus think!

alan_d

Lifer
your very welcome matey!

lets get the people of TGTT into preserving the EP till the end of time (or petrol!)

andybill

Member +
i personally have had people with very expensive cars (new jags/mercs/bmw's etc) come to me and ask me to detail their cars rather than taking them toa bodyshop for a mop/correction work.

End of the day its down to the person who owns the car and most decisions are made on past examples of work. From what i have seen of your work Alan you do a very good job and use the same equipment as myself.

Kelly

Member +
What the hell is going on here? I think its amusing how certain members try and play the role of moderators , badly!

If anyone has been slaggin anyone off report it to the mods, and it can be dealt with. I dont think ganging up and ruining a thread is the best way to go about it.

alan_d

Lifer
Cheers Kellie,

I dont want to give you folks more work than you already have but could someone clean down the thread?

we had a really positive idea goin there, as this section is little used, and by the looks of it there is interest by the likes of andy who made really good comments. Im all for critique, as it makes you strive to improve, just sometimes it can go astray, and I understand that.
But anyhow!

Back on topic!

More comments peeps,
Anyone for/against using a large body shop to minor restore paintwork, or would you use a local enthusiast?

59bhp

Member +
christ man you got some talent there,

could you talk us through what exactly you do step by step,

If my paint work wasnt so shocking and i knew where you were i prob would get you to go over the starlet

alan_d

Lifer
id love to do a walk through.

I must post up one I did for Leannes car, which I took photos of step by step.
I have some great videos of correct PC use too, all I need now is the time out of work to get it posted, ive got 4 cars and a cruiser boat to do this week, but hopefully ill have a 'little' more time next week lol!

great to see people taking an interest in starting it themselves!
ill warn you though, it becomes obsessive!

andybill

Member +
christ man you got some talent there,

could you talk us through what exactly you do step by step,

If my paint work wasnt so shocking and i knew where you were i prob would get you to go over the starlet

im sure if you post pics of your car/paintwork we can advise you mate or certainly point you in the right direction !

59bhp

Member +
im sure if you post pics of your car/paintwork we can advise you mate or certainly point you in the right direction !

unfortunatly it needs some attention laquer wise as the person who owned my car before me left birdshit on there for what must have been months and months so its burned right through the laquer and its started peeling, plus on the boat over here it got some big scrapes and scratches. Also the front is peppered with stone chips as i do some huge motorway mileage. I plan on getting the bodywork done next year as i will be doing nowhere near as many miles so once its done ill get in contact with you to arrange something.

Thankyou for the offer, have some rep points.

andybill

Member +
let us know mate ! once you have a good finish to the paint all it takes is a good washing technique and the odd touch up and you should be well away !

SupaStu

Member +
Impressive work there Alan, damn i'll have to buy some elbow grease and try some serious polishing work on my glanza. The main problem with my paint is tar/soot spots all over the bodywork (silver easier to see).

I always use AG SRP but will get some of the EGP to finish her, will post some pics when i have time and weather to get this done.

R E P T O Y O U ;)

andybill

Member +
have you clayed or used a tar remover before polishing mate ? If you just go straight to polish you may just be pushing to tar spots into the paint.