Problem with LG viewty, contract advice?

Matt_Seicentos

Member +
Hi, I am now on my 3rd LG viewty since May and will be ringing Orange for a
4th tomorrow as this is already faulty after 2 days! my question is,

can I argue the toss with orange and ask for a different model of phone or am I going to have to cancel my contract and start up a new one? I've currently been with Orange for roughly 2 years and tbh, this phone is really doing my head in.

3 faulty handsets since may is a complete joke. Any advice?

Dazwin

Member +
speak 2 them tell them there is major probs, and your not happy with it, you dont want another 1 cos they keep going wrong and you would like a new fone, have dun it for my sister

Matt_Seicentos

Member +
speak 2 them tell them there is major probs, and your not happy with it, you dont want another 1 cos they keep going wrong and you would like a new fone, have dun it for my sister

and it worked? nice. I'm incredibly pissed off with it, and the thought of having a 4th one doesn't really fill me with confidence for the damn thing lol.

Matt_Seicentos

Member +
What is wrong with the phone. My wife and I have had our viewty's for 10 months and no probs at all with them.

get ready for it :p

1st phone - Crashed after 2 months, switched on, got as far as "LG" screen and kept resetting.

2nd Phone - LCD screen started to come away from the phone. and if you switched it off then back on, it would switch off every 5mins until it was plugged into a power source

current phone - Speaker seems to be buggered, when I'm talking to ppl their voices are distorted etc.. its terrible.

starbogt

Member +
They must have some sort of policy to exchange for a different phone.... I had the viewty and so did my wife we sold them on ebay for £130+ and bought different phones I've never been happier with my N95... The speaker when talking to people was the same on both our viewty's didn't matter if the signal was good or not they are toss. I would get it change and sell it if you're not happy and Orange won't help.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Yes you can, i work for T-Mobile.

Persistant handset faults or imperior quality means you can just quote "Sales of Goods Act". Just state you want a non-like-for-like exchange.

Shouldnt have any problems.

Sometimes manufacturers make bad batches and these handsets have particular faults. Folk are more interested in what features it has then faults .. hence the N95 being so bad. Every network provider has a list of the faults also but every handset has them.

Iain

gv1.3

Admin
Het Matt,

my usual method for dealing with such issues is this. Call up customer care and ask to speak to a manager. If they say one is not available tell them it is fine you will hold until one is available DO NOT get off the phone.

The manager will be expecting an irrate customer but you be nice and calm and polite and they will be pleasently surprised. I tend to call at around 5:30 which is when their shift changes so the manager will be in a rush to leave and will be more inclined to see things your way.

I would explain that you use the handset for business and you cannot afford to have it fail on you again as it is now costing your business money when it dies - all while being nice and polite.

I would also say that you feel you have given them ample opportunity to resolve the situation by taking replacement handsets but at this point in time you just have no confidence in that phone and then here is the important bit... you ask .. "so now that I have explained my situation and you understand where I am coming from what can you do to resolve this for me?"

You throw the ball into their court sit back and listen to their options - at this point the option of giving you the same handset again has been crossed off by you by saying earlier that you have no confidence in it... The best option left to this person is to offer you a different phone. Limit their options in your initial engagement so that the options they have left equal the outcome you want i.e. a new, differnet phone.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Het Matt,

my usual method for dealing with such issues is this. Call up customer care and ask to speak to a manager. If they say one is not available tell them it is fine you will hold until one is available DO NOT get off the phone.

The manager will be expecting an irrate customer but you be nice and calm and polite and they will be pleasently surprised. I tend to call at around 5:30 which is when their shift changes so the manager will be in a rush to leave and will be more inclined to see things your way.

I would explain that you use the handset for business and you cannot afford to have it fail on you again as it is now costing your business money when it dies - all while being nice and polite.

I would also say that you feel you have given them ample opportunity to resolve the situation by taking replacement handsets but at this point in time you just have no confidence in that phone and then here is the important bit... you ask .. "so now that I have explained my situation and you understand where I am coming from what can you do to resolve this for me?"

You throw the ball into their court sit back and listen to their options - at this point the option of giving you the same handset again has been crossed off by you by saying earlier that you have no confidence in it... The best option left to this person is to offer you a different phone. Limit their options in your initial engagement so that the options they have left equal the outcome you want i.e. a new, differnet phone.

Doesnt work and dont get treated any different, just makes it a more pleasent call. I deal with this shit day in and day out.

The Sales of Goods Act basically implys that you must be given a handset of satisfactory standard, and if YOU believe it is not to that standard then the company can issue you with an appropriate repair and exchange option. Persistant issues with the same model however should result in an exchange for a different model to the same price, if its more you pay the difference etc.

gv1.3

Admin
disagree mate - I used to run a team in a call centre and seen it day in day out... yes the sale of goods and services act is quoted by me on occassion but I prefer not to do that unless it is required. Keep it civil and use manipulation of the person on the other end of the phone and you will more often than not get the result you want.

Also my approach has generally gotten me a goodwill gesture from the company I am dealing with. I would be pushing for a different handset, possibly a more expensive handset, without me paying the difference.

Obviously it depends on who you get on the phone as I am sure you will agree not everyone is equally helpful but that is why I always ask for a manager as they will usually have the ability to perform credits and are a decision maker rather than talking to a guy who has to stick to the book.

A recent example for me was with national car hire in the states. They have a loyalty programme called emerald club. This allows you to pick from higher class cars and only pay for a midsize and also gives free rental credits. As I hire cars for 60 days at a time I should be clocking up free rental car days and driving something decent. I tried joining on their site but it wouldnt take my license number as it is not a US license. I tried joining at one of their counters in the airport but the guy had no forms! So I called up..

Got the rep and immediately asked for a manager, my thinking behind this is why speak to someone who is reading lines from a manual when you can talk to someone that can actually do something for you. I spoke to the manager and basically said "I have attempted to join this loyalty club your way and it is not working.. I can go to hertz or any other car hire company and they will gladly take my money so how do you propose we sort this out?"

They added me there and then to their system, they waived the $50 joining fee and they gave me 2 days free rental as an apology. If you act like a victim you get treated like one. If you act like you played ball but things aint worked out.. they are more inclined to accept you as someone who just wants to get sorted. If you break into song about the sale of goods and services act they will go on the defensive.

Ultimately it is your deciion.

EDIT: just remembered this one too. My parents got broadband installed and it hadnt worked for a month. They had called and were told about 5 times that someone would call them back and they never did. I called and they told me someone would call me back so I said "thats fine Ill hold for someone" I was told there was wait time of an hour so I said "Ill hang up and if I havent heard anything within the hour I will call back" ...never got a call.. called back "Welcome to company X how can I help you" "Manager please"... "how can I help you sir"... "manager please" ... they put me onto a manager and I explained the situation. I said "we have attempted to get this resolved using your support team but there seems to be an issue with your support process. We have been told we would receive a call 6 times now and so I now do not trust your guys when they tell me this. How do you suggest we fix this problem?"

ball back in his court... he is not going to suggest a call back after having tried that 6 times... they actually replaced the router and as I was not going to be around when the new one arrived they had an engineer call to talk my parents through setting it up. Thats good service - unfortunately people dont expect it these days... they settle for poor service.

Matt_Seicentos

Member +
I'm getting a different phone tomorrow, opted for a samsung G600, my last phone was a samsung so should be good. at first they said they couldn't offer me a new phone but when I said I wasn't happy with having to replace the phone 4 times in 4 months they changed their minds lol?

Craig

Lifer
I'm getting a different phone tomorrow, opted for a samsung G600, my last phone was a samsung so should be good. at first they said they couldn't offer me a new phone but when I said I wasn't happy with having to replace the phone 4 times in 4 months they changed their minds lol?

Got a G600 mate. It turns itself off randomly if I press buttons too quick. Also the buttons sometimes stop working for 30 mins at a time (I think if it even gets a spec of rain) and the "5 Mega Pixel Camera" is wank.

Hope you like it :p

Matt_Seicentos

Member +
Got a G600 mate. It turns itself off randomly if I press buttons too quick. Also the buttons sometimes stop working for 30 mins at a time (I think if it even gets a spec of rain) and the "5 Mega Pixel Camera" is wank.

anythings better than the viewty atm lol :p if not I'll work something out lol.

gv1.3

Admin

lol... you just ruined it on the poor lad!

truth of the matter is that its fairly difficult to find a good handset these days. With so many manufacturers from the far east flooding the market with cheap handsets all the big names have had to sacrifice quality to compete.

The best I have come across for build quality in a long time is the palm treo 750. It was a bit of a dog with windows mobile 5 but when they launched the win mobile 6 upgrade it turned it into a great device, unfortunately its a bit big for most peoples liking.