problems after fitting mani

ALaN

Member +
well after spending hours at jezzas house 2day i finally have my new mani fitted but now have a couple of problems.
It wasn't hitting full boost before fitting so i guessed it was the actuator that was on its way out so instead of 0.8 bar it was only hitting 0.6 but now after porting the wastegate its only hitting 0.5 and i'm only gettin 2 green lights on the dash too instead of 3.also have a red light flickering away under the rev counter that looks like an exhaust box with 4 wee stink lines coming up from it, any clues as to what this is?
Alan

madman

Member +
you need to do a diagnostics test to see what the management light is poping for clicky you prob have a boost leak somewhere causing her not to boost fully

easty-5

Member +
That light you are getting is a Catalyst Converter temperature light. Basically saying your Cat is overheating.

Did you use new gaskets when fitting the manifold?

ALaN

Member +
@ madman, thanks I'll try the diagnosis this morning.

@easty, yeah mate new gaskets were used, I had an idea it meant something like that but it goes off when you press the clutch in :confused:
I did heat wrap the mani though so it could be keepin too much heat in I suppose.

@texx, not changed the actuator yet I've ordered an HKS one, I'm pretty sure its not hitting full boost due to the actuator and obviously porting the wastegate wouldnt have helped matters if it wasnt sealing properly in the first place.just hoping someone could confirm that for me.

rep added.

Texx

Super Moderator
Sounds like your actuator is too weak to hold the wastegate shut and now you've ported the wastegate it's just made the problem worse.

I'm guessing you're only seeing 0.5bar and theres a fair amount of lag before it gets there?
Once you've got the HKS actuator on there it should spool a lot quicker.

I had a very similar problem recently after fitting a HKS actuator and porting the wastegate. Was only hitting 0.5-0.6bar and was laggy as fook, you could almost count the seconds it took for the boost gauge to hit 0.6bar. I've wound the actuator rod up about 3 turns, the gauge now snaps straight round to 0.75bar and the car pulls pretty well without any boost creep or fuel cut.

ALaN

Member +
thanks mate thats exactly what its driving like.i had heard the standard actuator was pants anyway and was told to expect it to go.
bring on the HKS :)
Just the cat problem to sort. Time to order a decat i think.

Texx

Super Moderator
Is the CAT temperature light on constantly? Or does it come on after driving for a while?

If it's on constantly, I would think the sensor has died so wouldn't worry too much. If the light comes on after driving, it could indicate a bit of a problem, but again the sensor could also be fooked. If you fit a decat pipe you can unplug the sensor and forget about it.

When you fit the HKS actuator, it will be worth your while to leave the C clip off that secures the rod to the wastegate arm until you are happy with it's adjustment. Saves burning yourself and swearing when you drop the clip several times trying to fit it back on. I found the best way to adjust the actuator rod is to lengthen it so it just reaches the wastegate arm with the wastegate closed and then shorten it initially 2-3 turns to apply some spring pressure to hold the wastegate shut. If there's not enough spring pressure holding the wastegate shut while the turbo spools, you'll end up with a similar boost issue like you've currently got. If you then see too much boost, lengthen the arm, if you don't get enough or it still feels a bit laggy, shorten it another turn.

ALaN

Member +
thanks again mate thats a good tip with the circlip i prob wouldn't have thought of that and would've ended up with alot of skin stuck to the turbo.the light was only comin on at low revs but i took it out this morning and took it a spin, after it had warmed up i gave it a bit of stick and the light didn't come on once.i've now just driven about 30 miles and still no light so i'm not gonna worry too much about that.just want my actuator to arrive cos the car is so slow at half a bar!

bucketep91

Member +
so you ended up fitting it yourself lol i told you it was a nightmare lol. after i fitted mines it melted a wee hole on the actuator hose and i was having the same problems. btw i stung that boy for them seats i was telling you about haha

ALaN

Member +
aye done it mate but learned from your mistake and went under the car and disconnected the oil feed from the turbo instead of the sump.didn't want to split that return pipe.i have nicked one of the water feed pipes goin to the turbo so i'm gonna have to sort that too.nice one about they seats mate.theres a type R scotland dyno day comin up in irvine on the 1st of august if you fancy i'll stick your name down and we'll show they honda boys :)

bucketep91

Member +
aye done it mate but learned from your mistake and went under the car and disconnected the oil feed from the turbo instead of the sump.didn't want to split that return pipe.i have nicked one of the water feed pipes goin to the turbo so i'm gonna have to sort that too.nice one about they seats mate.theres a type R scotland dyno day comin up in irvine on the 1st of august if you fancy i'll stick your name down and we'll show they honda boys :)

might be up for it m8, need tae get a rrfpr so i can get that fcd wired in.
heres those seats. they need a good clean up but i think im just gonna get them re trimmed. they go well with the red carpet:D
newshoot001.jpg

newshoot002.jpg