Problems with Starlet calipers on rear of Paseo

puntoturbo

Fresh Recruit
A friend of mine has fitted a Starlet rear brake setup to the rear of his Paseo, everything that he thought was required was fitted, calipers, handbrake cables etc.

With these calipers fitted as they are its impossible to get a solid brake pedal, the brakes have all been bled but the pedal still sinks to the floor upon the first initial press.

If you pump the brake pedal rapidly then it gets slightly harder, he's clamped the rear flexi hoses to the calipers and a solid pedal feel is then achieved.

Is there a type of non-return valve that needs to be fitted in line with each caliper which he hasn't removed off the Stalet GT that the brakes came off?

Thanks

riko666

Member +
it's not a Specific problem as my brakes are just fine - not to sound condescending but you sure the Pads are fine, the Brake Fluid isn't old, the hoses are all in good condition? Could be something trivial

More details on your Paseo too :p

puntoturbo

Fresh Recruit
it's not a Specific problem as my brakes are just fine - not to sound condescending but you sure the Pads are fine, the Brake Fluid isn't old, the hoses are all in good condition? Could be something trivial

More details on your Paseo too :p

If you are running these on a Paseo too, did you only fit the calipers, carriers, disks, pads and flexi hoses ?

GTti

Member +
You are forgetting the most important factor - the master cylinder determines the 'feel' of the brakes in conjunction with the piston size of the caliper. If this isn't the same size then the brakes will feel different.

(This is assuming you have a well configured system)

puntoturbo

Fresh Recruit
You are forgetting the most important factor - the master cylinder determines the 'feel' of the brakes in conjunction with the piston size of the caliper. If this isn't the same size then the brakes will feel different.

(This is assuming you have a well configured system)

Sorry, i forgot to mention the master cylinder was also changed. As i've said if the flexi hoses running to the rear calipers are clamped the pedal feel is hard and the front brakes work fine, if not it sinks to the floor and the brakes are shite.

is there any valve on the rear beam where the lines which run down the car attach to the connectors on the beam?

After looking at it i think i've determined that when the brake pedal is released the rear caliper pistons are not staying primed and are returning to their open position. Upon depressing the pedal again, the first few presses are only opening the piston to meet the pad but each time it is released they are withdrawn.

thanks

Last edited:

Pumba_GT

Member +
Just thought to add my suggestion here to the problem you have. Do you think the rear calipers from an ABS starlet will make this effects on your mate's Paseo? Just my thought, but again, they might be the same calipers from non-abs or abs. Someone correct me please.

GTti

Member +
Seems odd to be honest.

How is the handbrake?

How are you bleeding them?

I'd bleed them again and give them a good pumping :D I worked on the rear of my GTti the other week, they really are a pain in the arse. But after about 50 pulls on the handbrake and a good few pedal pumps the brakes were really firm.

Do the Starlet rear calipers have a nut on the rear with an adjuster inside?

GTti

Member +
After looking at it i think i've determined that when the brake pedal is released the rear caliper pistons are not staying primed and are returning to their open position. Upon depressing the pedal again, the first few presses are only opening the piston to meet the pad but each time it is released they are withdrawn.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here?

The gap between the pistol/pad and the disc should be minimal if you want a firm pedal. The only way this can be achieved is an adjuster on the rear of the caliper (Which pushes the piston closer or retracts it) or simply by pushing more fluid in the lines.

puntoturbo

Fresh Recruit
Just thought to add my suggestion here to the problem you have. Do you think the rear calipers from an ABS starlet will make this effects on your mate's Paseo? Just my thought, but again, they might be the same calipers from non-abs or abs. Someone correct me please.

the car they have come off and was a non abs model

puntoturbo

Fresh Recruit
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here?

The gap between the pistol/pad and the disc should be minimal if you want a firm pedal. The only way this can be achieved is an adjuster on the rear of the caliper (Which pushes the piston closer or retracts it) or simply by pushing more fluid in the lines.

as far as i know there is no adjuster on the rear of the caliper, i shall have a look later

Antz

Fresh Recruit
First off, are the calipers on the right way round ? daft question, but you wouldn't believe how many times i have seen calipers bolted on the wrong side and upside down.
are the handbrake cables adjusted totaly off and have the handbrake levers on the calipers returned fully to their off position, another common thing i have seen.
failing that you may need to use a pressure bleeder to clear the system of air, or it could be a dodgey master cylinder ( even though it's new) , repeated pumping of the brake pedal can wreck the cylinder seals.
If i think of anything else, ill post it up

mk1spyder

Fresh Recruit
Its because you dont have the right proportioning valve, the one your using is meant for drums and u have discs.