Puff of smoke ???

racerboymx

Member +
Well lads just a quick question...just when i was coming of the throttle today in 2nd gear about 3000rpm, i noticed a puff of bluey smoke billow up me back window:confused: at first was thinking it was my oil seals on the way out but when i popped the bonnet and noticed just to the side of my manifold where it joins with the turbo it was soothy!!! so my question is, would the smoke be caused by the leaking manifold, as in when i was throttling off it sucked in some air and messed up the air/fuel mixture??? I will be sorting out the leak tomorrow but just would like to know if my turbo is on her last legs :confused:

Thanks guys rep will be added;)

Paul-GlzV

Member +
almost certain it's seals. cracks or leaks in exhaust won't effect afr i don't think. hybrid or td04 time :rockon: it's a good excuse :p it will use a little oil but not much keep an eye on it k? it's still drivable just abit embaressin wit the smoke

Sigma

Member +
I love how on this forum, if there's anything so tiny as one puff of oil smoke on a gear change, the turbo is obviously a collosal piece of scrap...

Keep using it, if it gets more frequent, start looking for a placement..

It's not uncommon that when getting some stick, for turbocharged cars to emit a slight whisp on changes. It's just because the oil's at it's thinnest viscocity.

racerboymx

Member +
I just put the decat back in her about a month ago after i got her through the NCT (MOT in uk) and I know the decat can put some extra pressure on the oil seals so i was just basing my theory on that...other wise my turbo is perfect no shaft play in any direction and boosting nicely...any of the Irish lads know anyone doing turbo re-builds i'm based in cavan but dont mind travelling cos i have a spare CT9 sitting in the garage and wouldn't mind getting it rebuilt!! uuhhhhhh now im thinking CT9b please :haha:

Fizturbo

Member +
Been told thers not much differance in performance between CT9 and CT9B,
av tried both and did find the CT9B kick ass!
As for the turbo oil seal check for oil in intercooler pipes,also it would smoke on warm idle if the seals wer gone.

J25GTi

Lifer
Been told thers not much differance in performance between CT9 and CT9B,
av tried both and did find the CT9B kick ass!
As for the turbo oil seal check for oil in intercooler pipes,also it would smoke on warm idle if the seals wer gone.

thats why glanzas are WIN!:p

TURBO2010

Member +
I just put the decat back in her about a month ago after i got her through the NCT (MOT in uk) and I know the decat can put some extra pressure on the oil seals so i was just basing my theory on that...other wise my turbo is perfect no shaft play in any direction and boosting nicely...any of the Irish lads know anyone doing turbo re-builds i'm based in cavan but dont mind travelling cos i have a spare CT9 sitting in the garage and wouldn't mind getting it rebuilt!! uuhhhhhh now im thinking CT9b please :haha:

hey mate im nearly sure theres a place in bellfast that rebuilds em, i seen the ad on gumtree iirc!!:)

racerboymx

Member +
no its not smoking on idle mate just when i came off the throttle at only abot 3k rpm and its the first time I seen it so i was just wondering is the oil seals starting to wear!! yeah i was thinking i would have to go up the north to get the tubo done but think it wold be worth it instead of buying a 2nd hand one!!!

The CT9a V's CT9b battle begins again :p