'Q' Plates

parkiboy

Member +
Well i'm moving into a property where i'm going to get my very own garage :) so as soon as my bank balance allows it i will be starting a kit car project in there....

Well i know the build i am going for and at the minute i'm starting to make a list of everything i will need... I was wondering how can you ensure the car gets put on a Q plate? reason i want this is to avoid that emissions test we all hate so much! lol :p

also... why are alot of people scared of the Q plate? they speak of it as if its a bad thing?

thanks

www.glanza.co.uk

Super Mod (極度の調整器)
The 'Q' shows that the vehicle was either not originally registered in the UK and proof of age was unavailable at registration, or that it has been built using a significant proportion of used parts.

If a vehicle has to be rebuilt, say after an accident and many new or used parts have been used that it calls the identity of the vehicle into question, the vehicle needs to be registered on a 'Q' Plate. This is done through the DVLA. It does not mean that there is anything wrong with the vehicle, just that it's original identity cannot be clarified from the parts it is made from (i.e. from different vehicles)

Kit cars usually have a Q registration and this is perfectly normal, but on other vehicles,
it suggests that their full history may be difficult to trace.

"Q" numbers are non-transferable, meaning that they must remain with the car. You cannot transfer them to another vehicle, and you cannot purchase another number plate for the 'Q' plated vehicle.

Before you purchase a vehicle with a 'Q' plate, it is very important that you obtain a HPI check to ensure that it is not stolen or ringed and registered correctly with the DVLA.

That should answer your question... Basically, the 'Q' plate is for cars of 'doubtful origin'.

parkiboy

Member +
so basically if used the majority of parts from the same vehicle it would be on a normal reg? but if i mix and match it will go on a Q??

thats how i read it anyways :p

cheers mate!