Question about air compressor size.

lleey2k4

Member +
Right im a self employed mobile mechanic/ Mechanic for a garage part time, and got to the stage now where im missing my air tools when im on the van.

So looking to buy an air compressor, does anyone know much about them for using air tools mainly Air guns to keep maximum pressure for a decent length of time.

I know what pressure is needed and cfm and would need to be 240V.

The thing i need to know is what would be a suitable litre tank for using most air tools?

Considering it has to fit in a Citroen Dispatch van.

Cheers.

lleey2k4

Member +
Im thinking a 50 litre wont be able to hold enough pressure for too long before needing to kick in to build up pressure again when undoing say 4 wheel nuts or a subframe bolt which would be nice and tight.

rage

Lifer
i've got a 50 liter one and the pressure drops fast when using big tools like air hammers.
can only undo 2 wheels before the compressor starts building pressure again.

in a garage it's no problem but on the road? you would need a heck of a lot of air.

isn't it possible to supply the compressor from a compressed air cilinder? like a divers set?
they can hold a lot of pressure. but you would need a air filler station somewhere close. like a dive club

lleey2k4

Member +
Thats sounds way too complex mate i'vre seen a 150 litre air compressor from machine mart and they have an offer where everything is vat free so would be £439.

Its just 1390mm long so 1.4 metres which would take up most of my van tbh, but i may buy it and try it and rearrange things.

Texx

Super Moderator
Unless your using belt sanders or grinders etc... constantly, then 8CFM @ 90psi is probably the most an air gun is going to need. Most compressors will pressurise the tank to around 110-120psi, so if you connect a pressure regulator between the tank and the air line and set it to 90psi (or whatever the operating pressure is of the tool your going to be using), you'll get more tool usage out of the air in the tank before the compressor kits back in.

One of these would probably do the job:

000119230.jpg

• 230V, 3hp motor
  • 100 litre air receiver
  • 14cfm displacement
  • 8 Bar (116 psi) maximum working pressure
  • Dimensions 1165 x 420 x 1050mm
  • 56kg

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-3hp-v-twin-compressor-sed14a100

http://www.clarkeservice.co.uk/manuals/compressors/3hp_compressor.pdf

lleey2k4

Member +
Wow thanks Texx thats perfect and the size should be absolutely perfect :) and not too heavy i'll that actual compressor comes with a pressure gauge to adjust so should be perfect for me as tbh it wont be often when i use a sander just mainly Air gun and tyre pressure gauge and air rachet.

accent_97

Member +
i have a 150ltr and really found it great for air tools capable of 150 psi and have 2hp motor a bit heavy to load it on the van but is worth having extra pressure

Picture.jpg