question for the builders/roofers out there!!!!

dac69er

Super Moderator
replacing the fascias on my house and managed to crack next doors flat roof :(

anyway, need to replace 1 sheet at least, but a couple of the other sheets have slight microfractures on them and get a bit damp through them when it rains.

is there anything that can be done with them? they are cement fibre corrugated boards, similar to asbestos.

any help would be greatly appreciated. bloody job is costing me more than if i had payed some fucker to do it :(

not much you can do with them other than renew them only way is to either cover the crack with flash band or mineral felt mate it's a bit of a bodge but would do the job you can buy roof pol that will paint on and cover the crack as well still a bit of a bodge or you could do as above cover with flash band or mineral felt using blow torch and then paint roofpol or acrypol+ over the flash band or mineral felt just to make sure it's water tight
If it's a thin enough crack roof pol or acrypol might do the job on it's own

here is roof pol or acrypol + it's a paint with fibres in it it aint cheap though last tin i bought was £40 - £50

http://www.acrypolproducts.co.uk/

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
hmmm, due to it being a link home it is overlooked by the house so they would be able to see if i bodged it like that. new sheets are about £50 each :( looking like i will have to replace 3 sheets

I know the stuff you mean mate i work on them roofs quite often and the old asbestos panels they are usually bolted down and have rubber washers on the bolts the washers perish/fail and leak after time so we have to go repair them not much you can do with them really you can get away with bodging them sometimes if not seen I'm a bricklayer by trade but worked on roofs as well for last 16 years we usually find these panels on the old warehouse units they used to treat old slate roofs with roofpol/acrypol+ by covering the whole roof with a thin net like gauze and painting the whole slate roof with roofpol/acrypol+ or similar coating you might have seen it done before on old property's they do it just to try and save money in re-roofing the property

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
oh well. looks like i will just have to splash the cash and get it done. these sheets are fairly new. probably about 5 years old ish!

rubbers and stuff are fine and generally the sheets are in decent condition.

the roof on my garage still has the original asbestos sheeting and that is fine, never bloody leaks and is well old and knackered. woldnt be so bad if i broke my own roof

Them sheets are usually quite strong unless you put weight on them or drop some thing quite heavy on them ? lol what happened mate? yeah asbestos is a excellent material long as you don't breath it in

dac69er

Super Moderator
i was putting the walking boards up so we could work on my fascias without damaging the roof and just stood in the wrong place and due to the weight of me plus the board it just put a crack about a foot long in it. tried fixing it up as best i could with some flashing tape but we had what can only be described as a tropical rainstorm earlier and i havnt got my gutters on yet so it just pissed through the repair onto next doors tumble drier and fridge. was a bit embarrassing to say the least and i was out on the roof again trying to divert the water and patch up what i could. got it to a reasonable state in the end though.