Question

keya

Member +
Been having boost problems for a while now, finally got around to looking at it.
Car was boosting to about .5 bar instead of 1.0, just taken off the vac pipe from the turbo to the external wastegate and now I have my boost back but is unregulated, does this mean I have a wastegate/pipe fault???

Any help appreciated, Keya

Rob H

Member +
thats sounds like the spring is week in the waste gate if it was the pipe to the gate I think you would be getting more boost. is the spring pressure adjustable?

keya

Member +
I'm thinking that's what it will be, just tried a different pipe and it's still the same. The pipe I took off wasn't blocked or holed.
It's not adjustable, its a tial 38mm. What are the springs like to change?

AdamB

Member +
Easy to change mate, and tial springs are readily available. Just unscrew the nuts on the top of the wastegate, be careful to hold onto the cap though, the spring will throw itself out :)

Skalabala

Member +
bud never pull off the pipe of the actuator
you can be lucky there is a other problem, coz if everything was working fine and that pipe is off the turbo will boost until it explodes

keya

Member +
Yeah, thats what I meant when I said unregulated. It boots until I stop accelerating. I've put the pipe back on until I can get it sorted, thanks for the heads up though mate

keya

Member +
Right, just changed the spring and it seems a little better but more or less the same if that makes sense? Sometimes it boosts to more than other times when I'm driving it the same. Don't really know what to check next, could it be the wastegate itself? it's doing my head in now, just want my boost back lol. Does anyone have any ideas?

keya

Member +
Yeah, at least I think it is, I've had it off to re-weld it before. Needs checking though I guess?

funny onion

Member +
Yeah, at least I think it is, I've had it off to re-weld it before. Needs checking though I guess?

worth a check mate, even if it's not obviously cracked and doesn't blow on lower boost, at higher boost levels it might be blowing a bit through the weld hence not boosting right up. no harm in checking, it is a possibility anyways :)

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
worth a check mate, even if it's not obviously cracked and doesn't blow on lower boost, at higher boost levels it might be blowing a bit through the weld hence not boosting right up. no harm in checking, it is a possibility anyways :)

as said by funny bunion feet ;) booost at low psi is minimal, psi on full boost is a whole different kettle of fish! check what she said ;)

keya

Member +
right just had turbo and wastgate off, internal wastegate is welded shut will not budge at all. so it cant be that, impeller and propellers both free with minimal play. All the intercooler pipes are tight cant see any leaks. Dont know where to look next :mad: