R888's (front and back) safe on track with out a baffled sump

ryan-11

Member +
Hey guys, just wondering if r888's all round are safe to run on track without a baffled sump? ive heard stories (on other cars) of people running r888's, giving too much grip, all the oil in the sump to move to one side, causing oil starvation for the oil pick up.

AdamB

Member +
Don't really matter what tyres you use mate, it's all down to conering speed and G-forces.
If you plan on running on track often I would recommend lengthening the oil pick up pipe which I've had to do before on another style of engine or run a baffled sump.

Fro

Member +
I know plenty people using 888's on track with no issues, though I'm not saying it isn't possible! I think there is a greater risk when running full slicks over 888's

ryan-11

Member +
Don't really matter what tyres you use mate, it's all down to conering speed and G-forces.
If you plan on running on track often I would recommend lengthening the oil pick up pipe which I've had to do before on another style of engine or run a baffled sump.

surely if your running r888's you will be cornering faster though? Its just one of my mates say saying its not advisable to run r888's all round on an ep3 with out a baffled sump, just got me thinking

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
As Adam says, depends on the competancy of the driver to an extent.

We've had issues with R888 at some circuits, aftermarket oil pressure gauge paying for itself instantly! :)

Cheers

Mike Jones
Tuning Developments Ltd

AdamB

Member +
surely if your running r888's you will be cornering faster though? Its just one of my mates say saying its not advisable to run r888's all round on an ep3 with out a baffled sump, just got me thinking

Correct you will be able to corner faster, but whats to say you won't get an oversteer moment where the G-force during that manover is higher than cornering G-forces.

Don't have any experience with the ep3, but maybe they use quite a high pick up in relation to sump depth, also depends on oil pump speed as that is a direct relation to output volume.

ryan-11

Member +
No issues here and i run stickier tyres than R888 :)

cheers Rory, what tyres you using? you doing the track Scotland open pit at knocky in November?

Correct you will be able to corner faster, but whats to say you won't get an oversteer moment where the G-force during that manover is higher than cornering G-forces.

Don't have any experience with the ep3, but maybe they use quite a high pick up in relation to sump depth, also depends on oil pump speed as that is a direct relation to output volume.

Yeah i get what your saying Adam, and i suppose it depends on the driver too.

Murray

Member +
cheers Rory, what tyres you using? you doing the track Scotland open pit at knocky in November?

Rory was using Avon ACB10, makes 888 and the likes feel like road tyres. He isnt doing the trackday in November but i am:rockon:

Murray

ryan-11

Member +
Rory was using Avon ACB10, makes 888 and the likes feel like road tyres. He isnt doing the trackday in November but i am:rockon:

Murray

Yeah Murray i seen you were going, me and lee just paid tonight for it, should b a good day :drive: