Radiator - Bleeding?

Sii

Member +
Well I got the car running, with just the down pipe on so I am a little deaf :)

However I'm using the jimmy cranky stile mini radiator that came with my TD04, I've reused the original water feed and return pipe.

I've got the top hose on the rad going into the front facing water pipe, the bottom hose on the rad goes into the side facing water pipe.

Am I correct in assuming the the front connector on the water pump is the supply and side connector is the return?

I ran the car up to temp, coolant bottle full, however the rad never got warm, the bottom pipe had hot water in but it didn't feed through the rad, looks to me as though the feeds maybe are the wrong way around seeing as it's not getting water circulating.

When I used to rebuild the engines on the renault 5's you could put your mouth over the filler cap on the water bottle and blow the water around, using the bleed nipples.

However on the Glanza the water/coolant header has what looks like one vacum fed supply line going into the top of the rad and that's it.

How do I force it around the system?

Pour into the rad? ... grrr.....

Annoyed and partially boiled :)

Gilly2006

Member +
i may be wrong but im pretty sure that the bottom hose is supplying the cold and then carrys through the rad to the top but don't quote me on that.

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
the Toyota water systems are self bleading to a degree. when ever i changed the coolant in the car i always just started the car and let it run for a min or two with the radiator cap off and then worked away as normal. never had any problem with it.

Sii

Member +
i may be wrong but im pretty sure that the bottom hose is supplying the cold and then carrys through the rad to the top but don't quote me on that.

Supplying the cold water? Erm, wouldn't the thermostat not supply any cold water? what's the point in supplying cold water to a large metal body that cools it down?

Here is a pic of a car with the standard rad pipe work ...

26471020111_large.jpg

As you can see the front connector from the block goes into the top, the side exit into the bottom, same as mine.

I did notice when running my new TD04 friendly rad that on the bottom in the middle is what looks like a golden butterfly bolt, this when screwed is spewed water everywhere, I can only assume it's a bleed valve, but why at the bottom? strange.

Sii

Member +
the Toyota water systems are self bleading to a degree. when ever i changed the coolant in the car i always just started the car and let it run for a min or two with the radiator cap off and then worked away as normal. never had any problem with it.

Mine fails to be doing so, all belts are in place. The water pump is belt driven/mechanical, so I can't see that I maye have upset it somehow, all cables (if it was electric) are in place anyway.

Hmm, I will have another look tomorrow.

Want to make sure she's bled before I go to the RR.

Big_Daddy

Member +
This is how i bleed coolant system, worked well for me, 3 hands will be better, on cold engine. Remove rad cap, Fill up rad to max possible and fill up coolant bottle to full line.Block 1hand on raditor cap, whilst you have you hand on rad, sqeeze bottom hose and top hose. Notice some bubbles appear in coolant bottle, slowy let go of hoses and the coolant in resivour bottle with go down, keep doing it till it stops. Then re-fill tho bottle back to full again.

Gilly2006

Member +
Supplying the cold water? Erm, wouldn't the thermostat not supply any cold water? what's the point in supplying cold water to a large metal body that cools it down?

iv had a drink! that would be the reason why! sorry! im gna get told off soon! :argue:

Sii

Member +
This is how i bleed coolant system, worked well for me, 3 hands will be better, on cold engine. Remove rad cap, Fill up rad to max possible and fill up coolant bottle to full line.Block 1hand on raditor cap, whilst you have you hand on rad, sqeeze bottom hose and top hose. Notice some bubbles appear in coolant bottle, slowy let go of hoses and the coolant in resivour bottle with go down, keep doing it till it stops. Then re-fill tho bottle back to full again.

I will try this at 6am when I head down into my under house garage :) Should be cold then ...

Can I not just use the rad cap rather than the 1st hand you mentioned?

Big_Daddy

Member +
I will try this at 6am when I head down into my under house garage :) Should be cold then ...

Can I not just use the rad cap rather than the 1st hand you mentioned?

yes cold, unless your hands r heat proof, lol
has to be rad cap of as it blocks resvoir coolant feed

glanza_dan

Fresh Recruit
you shouldnt need to bleed the cooling system, what i did is leave the cap off when the engine is warm then your see the air will come out with bubbles leave for about 7 mins job done

Last edited: