radiator problem... water pressure.., help?

miib14

Fresh Recruit
hi guys,
the problem is when i get on to the motorway and drive about 70-80.. when i get to destination and open the bonnet, theres water/coolant all over the place..
the radiator is forcing water in to overflow and then thats spraying all over the bay?

what could be problem?

I've checked the car over today and done afew things..

both rad pipes are hot
no oil / water mix
heater blowing hot
temp gauge needle stays in middle
rad fan works too
no smoking either
changed the rad cap too..

thanks guys

mr2 rev3

Member +
It means there could be air in your water system buddy witch isn't good... there is a link on here somewhere where it tells you how to do it dude.

turbo head

Munster Area Rep.
ya just take off the rad cap when the car is cold and fill the rad with coolant start the car with the cap still off and leave it ticking over till the fan comes on. as the coolant heats up the air bubbles will rise to the top hense the idea of having the rad cap off just hav coolant beside you and keep topping it up as the air is getting out make sure there is no bubbles wot so ever coming out before you put the cap back on might take 10 or 15 mins to do ;)

Paul_JJ

Member +
ya just take off the rad cap when the car is cold and fill the rad with coolant start the car with the cap still off and leave it ticking over till the fan comes on. as the coolant heats up the air bubbles will rise to the top hense the idea of having the rad cap off just hav coolant beside you and keep topping it up as the air is getting out make sure there is no bubbles wot so ever coming out before you put the cap back on might take 10 or 15 mins to do ;)

My heater is a bit too weak -) I've done exactly like you've said above but instead of the bubbles and topping up my antifreeze was going over the top of the radiator - like it had too much in.....

Regarding the topic - I don't think it's got something to do with the air in the system - looks more like a headgasket issue - like dac69er said!

miib14

Fresh Recruit
sounds like headgasket to me

My heater is a bit too weak -) I've done exactly like you've said above but instead of the bubbles and topping up my antifreeze was going over the top of the radiator - like it had too much in.....

Regarding the topic - I don't think it's got something to do with the air in the system - looks more like a headgasket issue - like dac69er said!

thanks guys, but i hope it isnt... cost me enough on conversion and that was less than a week ago... non stop problems since then...

miib14

Fresh Recruit
ok guys, went out this morning before work and took rad cap off and the radiator was full and so was overflow tank.. so i started the car up and the coolant started to rise and come out of rad, so i closed the rad with cap, emptied the overflow to just about low and then went for a drive...
when i came back the overflow tank was full. left it there for about an hour and it was still same...
phoned the place that did the conversion and they suggested i do the same thing and empty the overflow tank, fill the rad up and go for another drive but dont boost it and i did that... went on to the motorway with no booost (which is 0.1 bar) and did that for about 20mins.. i came back and the coolant hadnt moved... it was the same as just before i left..

so on boost its forcing water out and on no boost its fine?

any suggestions?

corofin12345

Member +
hey man... it does sound like headgasket issues but to rule it out, do a compression test and come back with the readings