radiator problem

si-87

Member +
right fitted my new RAD today (standard rad)
but seem to have no pressure in the system treid bleeding it a few times, let it heat up the needle will sit below the halfway mark, and seems to drop when i drive faster
Also the radiator doesnt seem very hot, but i flushed it before fitting.
vry strange that after its warmed up i oped the the rad cap and the coolent doesnt overflow out it just sits there:mad::confused:

forgot to mention, was no probs until put the new rad on, and both pipes are hot bottom and top

Last edited:

si-87

Member +
just changed the rad cap and now its back to normal, but how hot should the rad get and should the bottom pipe be fairly warm?
thaks for the replies repped

Spoonz

Member +
should be quite hot has its full of hot water :haha: and yea that pipe should be warm has hot water passes through it

si-87

Member +
thought it was all sorted but im guessing the thermo has packed in now after a 60 mile drive the thermostat needle started fluctuating, staying below the halfway mark though:(

si-87

Member +
wont be until next week til i can get one will it do any harm driving it only a mile or so to work
would it be reccomended to change the coolent temp sensor aswell?

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
yeah. as the temp is quite warm this time of year it should be fine. just drive it sensibly. you could always stick a bit of a card over the rad so the system warms up quicker.

if its only for a mile then you will be fine. just get it sorted asap as youll get crap fuel consumption and an overcooled engine will wear more in the long term