Raising boost on a stock CT9

kalibwenm

Member +
hi guys...just need a little advice before i attempt to blow up my engine...lol

i'm currently running on stock internals, with a stock CT9 turbo, walbrow fuel pump, sard pressure regulator, hks SSQV dump valve, a front mount intercooler, stock 2" mid-exhaust pipe, and catback exhaust, but planning on replacing my stock manifold and downpipe with a WEPR CT9 power-up kit, replacing my stock turbo actuator with a HKS adjustable actuator, and replacing my stock ECU with a HKS pfc-fcon unit...now my question is, can i raise the boost to 1.2 bar without any issues from this setup?...won't it affect the poor old CT9 turbo?...or i shall just stick to 1 bar (better safe than sorry)...

Would be very grateful to receive your inputs...

cheers...

5e colin

Member +
no more then 1 bar on the ct9 !!!!! also would get a wideband afr gauge befor ur going to play with the pfc fcon

also leave the rrfpr off the car

kalibwenm

Member +
no more then 1 bar on the ct9 !!!!! also would get a wideband afr gauge befor ur going to play with the pfc fcon

also leave the rrfpr off the car

my mechanic insisted that it would run fine on 1.2bar, that bastard wants to kill the turbo...but why remove the fpr?

dac69er

Super Moderator
1.2bar will be ok for short bursts. as long as you have fuelling setup safely and the manifold and exhaust is free flowing (cat removed).

for a good compromise of reliability and performance stick to 1 bar.

5e colin

Member +
my mechanic insisted that it would run fine on 1.2bar, that bastard wants to kill the turbo...but why remove the fpr?

your mec. clearly knows fuck al about a stock ct9 the only blow hot air after a bar and almost no extra power from 1 to 1.2 way better looking for a hybrid ct9 if you want 1.2 bar

dont need the rrfpr on the stock injectors with the pfc use the stock 1

kalibwenm

Member +
1.2bar will be ok for short bursts. as long as you have fuelling setup safely and the manifold and exhaust is free flowing (cat removed).

for a good compromise of reliability and performance stick to 1 bar.

hmmm...i think i'll stick to 1 bar, not planning on replacing the turbo within the next 2/3 months, got other priorities...but still, why remove the fpr?

davehart

Member +
The stock unit will work fine with the PFC if its been tuned correctly so no need for the rising rate unit to go on.

One bar as Colin said, is the most you should push through the CT9.

kalibwenm

Member +
The stock unit will work fine with the PFC if its been tuned correctly so no need for the rising rate unit to go on.

One bar as Colin said, is the most you should push through the CT9.

ok i understand what you mean davehart...but in my case, the fpr is fitted to the engine, and at the same time i still have the stock fpr installed, meaning they've kinda bypassed the stock one to fit the aftermarket one, cuz i don't have the adapter for the sard fpr...and it's basically doing the same job as the stock one, giving 2.8 or 2.9 bar reading on the fpr gauge, which is the standard reading i think (correct me if i'm wrong)...do you find that to be acceptable, and will work fine, or i should totally loose the SARD fpr ?

davehart

Member +
I've never know anyone to bypass the stock one and leave it on there.

I'd either get rid of the Sard or fit the adapter for it so you don't have two regulators in there.

In either case, as long as its fueling correctly with the mods there may be no need to change anything. Just get it set up by a tuner properly.

dac69er

Super Moderator

I'd either get rid of the Sard or fit the adapter for it so you don't have two regulators in there.

In either case, as long as its fueling correctly with the mods there may be no need to change anything. Just get it set up by a tuner properly.

seen it plenty of times. it only restricts the fuel return so as long as you are only raising the pressure its a completely valid way of doing it.

kalibwenm

Member +

like you said, i think i'll leave it in the tuner's hands, a real one, not that shitty, dishonest mechanic...

thanks for your advice you all, i appreciate it, for now i know i won't be blowing up anything in the engine bay...

cheers

kalibwenm

Member +
seen it plenty of times. it only restricts the fuel return so as long as you are only raising the pressure its a completely valid way of doing it.

when you say it restricts the fuel return, could that be the cause of the strong fuel smell inside the car at times, especially when the fuel level reaches at around a 1/4...

5e colin

Member +
ok i understand what you mean davehart...but in my case, the fpr is fitted to the engine, and at the same time i still have the stock fpr installed, meaning they've kinda bypassed the stock one to fit the aftermarket one, cuz i don't have the adapter for the sard fpr...and it's basically doing the same job as the stock one, giving 2.8 or 2.9 bar reading on the fpr gauge, which is the standard reading i think (correct me if i'm wrong)...do you find that to be acceptable, and will work fine, or i should totally loose the SARD fpr ?

could you upload a pic of the 2 fpr setup hase me bafffled ( head scratching ere )

also the pfc does not like raised feul pressure bring it back down to 2.4 bar ( fp ) you only use a feul regulator when you fit bigger injectors to the pfc :) :) :)

kalibwenm

Member +

kalibwenm

Member +

5e colin

Member +
ha thanks i see now never saw that like that before

i would disconnect the rrfpr the hose coming from rail just plum it back in the fuel return pipe on the bulkhead

the pfc is wel capable of fueling the ct9 to its max on stock stuff

kalibwenm

Member +
ha thanks i see now never saw that like that before

i would disconnect the rrfpr the hose coming from rail just plum it back in the fuel return pipe on the bulkhead

the pfc is wel capable of fueling the ct9 to its max on stock stuff

haha...now you see the quality of work, and why i'm pissed at the mechanic...i think i'll do what you said myself, but i'm still waiting for the rest of my stuff to get here, before i get everything installed...just found out that the suspension setup isn't up to standard aswell. the left handside at the front, is lower than the right, so it tend to rub against the arc, and fuck up my steering, leaving me with a play in the wheels itself, when shaking by grabing the top and bottom of the wheel...could that be the rack-end saying bye bye?...