Rap cap pressure

Elaine

Lifer
Could someone please explain to me why rap caps hold different pressure’s

I am changing my rad tomorrow and have the choice of a 0.9, 1.1 and 1.3 bar rap cap. I would like some info on what there function is and how you determine what pressure to use.

Many thanks E :)

Adam_Glanza

Member +
basic science elaine,

the more pressure on a liquid the higher the boiling point.

so the higher the rad cap pressure the more the water will take to reach boiling point.

im not really sure wat the best will be, but alota people use 1.3 bar radcaps.

anymore pressure than that and it could be dangerous to the HG

Elaine

Lifer
I just got a 1.3bar one from Dave but it does not fit :( so I have found a 0.9bar one will this be ok untill I get sort something else out??

monka

Member +
elaine what one was it? was a cusco one? i recieved one from a trader (not dave) and it didnt fit, was a cusco one as well

dac69er

Super Moderator
new rads have the slightly larger types that the mr2s and celicas have.

0.9 is stock pressure so will be fine

dac69er

Super Moderator
one on the left is stock starlet and possibly glanza. one of the right is what you need ;)

Last edited:

WillGT

Member +
i use a normal 0.9 cap seems ok didnt know there wer so many different pressure types this is a useful thread!

dac69er

Super Moderator
0.9 is usually stock and 1.3 are the uprated ones. some cars have 1.1 (possibly honda?) as standard and some uprated caps are at 1.1 and even as much as 1.5 ive seen.

alot of bike rad caps are 1.3 bar.

WillGT

Member +
0.9 is usually stock and 1.3 are the uprated ones. some cars have 1.1 (possibly honda?) as standard and some uprated caps are at 1.1 and even as much as 1.5 ive seen.

alot of bike rad caps are 1.3 bar.

ha like i said thats useful this has given me some new knowledge reps added! :)