Re-locating filter, need silicone bend size

MJA

Member +
i want to bin my aircon and move my Apexi power intake to the usual front bumper position. i need to know the size and od's/id's of the silicone 90 degree bends that people are using

cheers

TurboDave

Member +
Full list,

45mm 90 degree bend
45mm/65mm reducer to fit the filter
45mm pipe to get enough distance to the bumper area.
Some coupling things.

:)

MJA

Member +
you sure the 90 degree bend needs to be 45mm? just had a look at the relocation kit that montanajr sold a few months ago and he says it's 38mm?

ChrisGT

Member +
I'm pretty sure its 38mm onto the turbo inlet mate. Nice and tight, but easy enough to get on/off.

MJA

Member +
can anyone who uses an Apexi filter confirm what i need, as i don't want to order stuff that aint gonna fit

TurboDave

Member +
There is a rubber insert inside the efi pipe where it goes onto the turbo, if you remove that (2 second job) and stick it over the turbos inlet the 45mm one fits nice, I am not sure of your setup but I need the extra 7mm.

I have an Apexi at the front ill take some pictures tomorrow.

Dave

ChrisGT

Member +
Well I can show you a few pics of mine; its a fairly large filter so don't see why an Apexi wouldn't fit!

DSC00227.jpg

DSC00225.jpg

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00223.jpg

TurboDave

Member +
Right it isnt 38mm, and the picture below proves it. It is 42mm and with the rubber insert on 45mm fits nice, End Of.

IMAG0807.jpg

Old filter
IMAG0517.jpg

old filter
IMAG0515.jpg

New filter
IMAG0763.jpg

I now have an apexi one on there.

ChrisGT

Member +
Wow thats wierd! I did order a 38mm and it went on fine, wouldn't have thought it being 4mil out! Wierd. :s

MJA

Member +
IMAG0763.jpg

I now have an apexi one on there.

does the Apexi sit in the same place as that filter? is your turbo in the same position as the stock CT-9? how come your filter sits next to the intercooler, but montanajr's is behind the grill?:homer:

TurboDave

Member +
Right you better appreciate this because it is freezing outside!! :)

This is my Apexi one it sits in the same place using exactly the same hoses as I listed and my turbo sits in the stock place. 90 degree bends cause a restriction in the intake so I opted to only have one, + it looks mean from the front!

IMAG0809.jpg

Adam_Glanza

Member +
i cant see how 90 degree bends cause a restriction?

mayb in theory but i dont get any problem infact my turbo works like mad lol

TurboDave

Member +
i cant see how 90 degree bends cause a restriction?

mayb in theory but i dont get any problem infact my turbo works like mad lol

Think about it, if you force air to go around a 90 degree bend it slows the air, it is Physics.

By coupling things I mean things to join the pipe I made my pipes fit inside eachother and used silicon tape to join them:).

Adam_Glanza

Member +
well no i dont really agree with that, surely if there was the same amount of force, and the same diametre piping no matter wat way you it went it would still be the same?

only if there was a kink in the pipe could i see it making a difference?