Re-useable rings?

GTnomez

Member +
Hey guys,

If i get a set of used forged pistons, can i reuse the rings?

I was under the assumption that i cannot so what do i do? Do i order them from the company e.g wiseco etc or are the pistons useless?

Thanks

350ep70gr

Member +
Hey guys,

If i get a set of used forged pistons, can i reuse the rings?

I was under the assumption that i cannot so what do i do? Do i order them from the company e.g wiseco etc or are the pistons useless?

Thanks

The answer is straight NO. You can order them from the piston company or you can use total seal rings wich i rate them personaly very high.
Piston can be reused no prob there.

Chris

GTnomez

Member +
The answer is straight NO. You can order them from the piston company or you can use total seal rings wich i rate them personaly very high.
Piston can be reused no prob there.

Chris

Thankyou very much, rep for that.

these come with total seal gapless rings (if i remember correctly) but again they are used so are these kind reuseable or again is it a no?

what are the prices for Ross rings?

Thanks again

tgidavid

Member +
You can re-use rings if they are still within tolerances. You will need to rehone the block to seat the rings. Total seal rings may need additional time and a different RA hone to seat again.

Now would I recommend reusing rings? no, generally if you spent the time rebuilding the engine, new rings would be a good investment.

Last edited:

GTnomez

Member +
good thing you edited it! Ile probably get new rings but from where are they readily available and what the price?

The link above seems very cheap! is that for all the rings included?

350ep70gr

Member +
You can re-use rings if they are still within tolerances. You will need to rehone the block to seat the rings. Total seal rings may need additional time and a different RA hone to seat again.

Now would I recommend reusing rings? no, generally if you spent the time rebuilding the engine, new rings would be a good investment.

You cant mate. Tolerance is only for safe reasons for the expand that the ring will take on the temperature will meet in the cylinder. Also new rings will expant permantly at the first 50-70 km and will stay where they want in this small time window. After this, rings will press against the cylinder walls with a more stable pressure for the rest of their life. Thats why the first few miles are so critical and you need to press then against as much as possible. Thats why you need to press and let the gas pedal. When press you pressure them to outside when you let , you cool down and lubricate till they are stabilize.(50-100 km)
In my eyes even if you open an engine for some reason at 200 km after a rebuilt you need again new rings.
If rehone and use used rings it 300% guranteed you will have a forge chimny..:haha::p

Chris

350ep70gr

Member +
good thing you edited it! Ile probably get new rings but from where are they readily available and what the price?

The link above seems very cheap! is that for all the rings included?

Those prices are for a single cylinder. So you need this price x 4.
For gapless rings if you dont have experience on using them you may be more in trouble than good. I suggest normall total seals.

Chris

GTnomez

Member +
Those prices are for a single cylinder. So you need this price x 4.
For gapless rings if you dont have experience on using them you may be more in trouble than good. I suggest normall total seals.

Chris

yeah i know i have to x4 but are there not like 3 rings in one cylinder?

you mention using normal total seals, when do i get them.

I apologise if my questions sounds silly

350ep70gr

Member +
yeah i have come across that site but not sure how i am to correctly order what i want. The pistons size is 75mm, so i assum i just order that?

Thanks again

They supply ross company with rings aswell (at least few years ago) so if you talk to them about your ross set they probably know what you want. The other way is to mesure the 3 grooves wide and deep and report to them.
Diameter (75) isnt enough i guess cause you need also the thickness of each ring.
Chris