Rear Brake pads

king_stu

Member +
Guys,
Need help in changing my rear brake pads. I'm pretty sure that they need to be wound back in(?). If so, can someone just talk me through it. Like a breif how too and also what tools do i need (anything speical to wind the caliper back in).

thanks
stu:)

P.S its a EP82 quad

GTti

Member +
If their is a nut on the rear of the caliper that you can remove, then do so, there will be a small screw inside that you can turn with an allen key. This will contract the piston.

Otherwise you'll just have to use a clamp to push the piston and leave the master cylinder cap open.

Monkfish

Member +
A pair of pliers can do it if you don't have the wind back too, but expect some war wounds as they tend to slip :homer:.

What you need to do is get some large(ish) pliers and hold them in your hand so that they are held open at the width of the piston. You place the jaws of the pliers into the two notches in the edge of the piston and twist clockwise. This will wind the piston back in. It can be hard work and frustrating, especially if you're calipers have seen better days, but it saves spending money on a tool you'll use once every couple of years.

Beaker

Member +
Get the rewind tool and its a 5 minute job. Dont get it and curse yourself for being stupid for not getting a rewind tool as you skin your knuckles over and over again.
The right tools make any job easy.

GTti

Member +
You can just use a normal £4 clamp though, but thats up to you, same thing. Use some gloves, I hate 15/20 year old calipers! :eek:

cobalt2_Full.jpg

You can spend the left over on a burger king and some wine for your hard work ;)

:eek: - this is my new fave smilie!

Last edited:

GTti

Member +
Yes, I didn't know that to start with but a clamp will still work. You twist it, it can only exert so much downwards pressure, then it'll turn into a rotation pressure - should work just the same.

king_stu

Member +
Hmmm, thats the thing. Found a few at £15 and then anything above that (£65+). Don't mind spending £15 on a wind back tool as that seems to be the best idea (and the right one) Just don't want to have to buy something for £120 and only use it once lol (might go into the brake business with it LOL
stu