Rear brakes freezed up in the morning

Valdas

Member +
noticed this 2 days ago start driving the car took a turn and she went sideways on me happens in the morning when theres frost back pads dont go back. is that a common issue with them after it does be ok should i tray repairing rear calipers or get a set from scrap yard? or is it something else all together?

Iain@CRD

Lifer
The rear brakes on these cars freezing is a common issue. Its mostly down to your handbrake freezing on, it normally pops off once you set off, if it doesnt then it could be that your piston in your caliper is not retracting properly.

To try and prevent it, if you live on level ground try to just leave the car in gear rather than applying the handbrake, normally does the trick.

Valdas

Member +
thats the thing i left my car last night in gear still same thing happened i will try maybe give rear calliper a good clean maybe grease that return piston

dark_knight

Member +
At times you don't need to rebuild the entire rear brake kit buying new components and such. You can just take it apart and give it a thorough clean checking that there is no dirt, muck or rust that could be holding your components in place - which is further worsened by bad weather.. :)

Cars like these are pretty old and you will be surprised by how much gunk can be found on those components so it does help to give them a good clean to see if your problem(s) go(es) away.
Try that and let us know.

dark_knight

Member +
@ starletgtturbo1: Spot on mate. If you can't find decent brake cleaner in your market, get some time, strip the entire setup to the core and give it a nice clean with warm soapy water taking care not to flood the piston area and brake pads too much. Give it a nice rinse then sun- or shade-dry them before re-assembly. I did this prior to giving them a nice coat of paint and now my rear axle is the envy of many. It looks like the car rolled off the factory just yesterday.. :D
Next up is the front wheel hubs and brake setup.. :)

lanxter

Member +
Had the same problem buddy for a couple of years. I've recently had them rebuilt with new seals etc and had new handbrake cables fitted and have had no problems since.