Rebuilding a cylinder head

GTnomez

Member +
When people 'Rebuild' the head, do they just replace the valve stem seals?

Or do they replace the springs and valves, as i have searched and read comments and it seems to be seals.

Also i cant seem to find any of the oem head parts in the traders.

weakboy2

Member +
full rebuild of a serviceable head would be, remove valves and de-coke, regrind in valves to ensure a 100% seal, replace valve stem seals and check valve clearances and possibly re-shim to suit afterwards. also replace the cam seal

Rory

Lifer
Spot on.

full rebuild of a serviceable head would be, remove valves and de-coke, regrind in valves to ensure a 100% seal, replace valve stem seals and check valve clearances and possibly re-shim to suit afterwards. also replace the cam seal

durmz

Member +
How much would u expect to pay for that at a gd engineers? I got quoted 180 with 3 angle valve grind I think, might have been 280 and I'm talking out my arse can't remember

Rory

Lifer
Depends on labour prices.

I done my own head myself,, been doing them for a good few years now.

350ep70gr

Member +

X3 plus skimming all three surfaces,clean the chambers from carbon and light porting while you are there..;)
Before start any work you should check the head and at least valve guides clearences.

Chris

350ep70gr

Member +
When people 'Rebuild' the head, do they just replace the valve stem seals?

Or do they replace the springs and valves, as i have searched and read comments and it seems to be seals.

Also i cant seem to find any of the oem head parts in the traders.

You should replace valves if are bent or badly burned or worn.And valve springs if tired and out of specs.(lost their tension or changed their dimensions).

Chris