Recommed me chip and board

Big_Daddy

Member +
Hi wanting to upgrade my machine, something to handle high def games.
Can some one recommned me a AMD chip and board to go with it? (Not a Intel fan). Possible dual core chips

CMR

Member +
Whats your reason for not liking Intel?

To be honest all of AMD's chips are way behind Intel's performance wise.

A cheap Penryn (e8400 for example) and a decent asus board is what I'd recommend at the moment.

Up to you though

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
I'm an AMD person myself but there's no denying the intel chips at the moment, gonna recommend an asus p5k mobo and a decent intel core 2 quad.

failing that then look at the AMD phenom line

Big_Daddy

Member +
Its jus that, i have bad history with intel plus few of my mates have blown their intel chips and boards. plus with the amd their easier to clock.
Can any one recommned me some suppliers (not pc world)

CMR

Member +
All the core2duo range of Intel's chips overclock superbly and on pretty much stock volts meaning its very hard to go wrong.
AMD's cannot be clocked as well as Intel's chips especially not at the same voltage/temps.

I have an e8400 at the moment running 4.2ghz stable on 1.39v and it hits 45c on 100% stress, no AMD chip can be clocked that efficiently.

End of the day like i said its up to you if you choose AMD.

You will find pretty much what you need on www.overclockers.co.uk reputable and cheap, used em for years.

John757

Member +
Well, I'd recommend Intel aswell to be honest. AMD seem to have fallen by the way side in the past 12 months and I used to be a big AMD fan. Go to komplett.co.uk They usually have a few deals on Mobo/CPU/RAM packages. Also google CPU benchmarks for a bit more in depth information on current CPU's and how they compare.

Big_Daddy

Member +
Yeh that true, but other thing is, i have around 2gb of ddr memory.

DIMM1: Micron Tech. 16VDDT12864AY335F2 1 GB PC2700 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz)

DIMM2: Infineon AED560UD00-500C88X 256 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-2-2-6 @ 133 MHz)

Will any of these work with amd boards or possibly the intel? as i prefer to keep the memory to keep d budget down.

CMR

Member +
Have you looked at any packages? I know novatech and overclockers do them, basically cpu, heatsink, motherboard + memory.

That memory you listed isnt the best, with the FSB of all new cpu's the cpu will always be waiting for the memory to 'catch up' so to speak..

2gig of ddr2 pc6400 can be had for peanuts now. Whats your budget?

Big_Daddy

Member +
Well true say, was thinking the same thing, my budget around 300ish. I just want to be enough powerfull to run the new need for speed undercover. lol

Rep to all for your help

SooperD

Member +
mate for that much look on ebay and get yourself a whole new machine ;) there are some great bargains on there from reputable sellers so dont worry bout that.. Huge feedback means thumbs up. I bought almost ever compoonent of my PC on ebay .

Ive got a Q6600 quad core @ 3ghz (stock is 2.4) .

So many people get put off with ebay but aslong as the person has a good feedback you will be fine. Only trouble ive ever had with ebay was when i sold something and didnt send it recorded. Then the person says they didnt recieve it and ive gotta refund for an item i no longer have.

Buying has always been painless if done correctly..

The sites above are also very good but you will find it hard to get good high speed CPU because your Ram is slowing it all down. Ideally u want DDR2533 or higher.

Good luck

Big_Daddy

Member +
Quick question, upgrading one of older machines at home. will be sticking a athlon 64 chip. Would i need new glue to stick the heat sink/fan. plus will i need to reinstall windows or will the system just pick it up thew chip staright away.

CMR

Member +
Windows won't need reinstalling if you have just swapped the cpu.

If the heatsink had a thermal pad on it you might be able to get away with it, but if it had paste that you (or someone else) applied I'd change it.

GT_Irl

Member +
Ive also hav a Q6600 quad core. Really fast and have had zero problems even when overclocking. I also have sli-ed nvidia 8800gtx's and 6gb of ram:rockon:

ChrisGT

Member +
I'd say the bundles on OCUK are pretty good mate, then all you'd need (if you don't have already) is a case, HDD, CD drives and PSU and a OEM copy of Windows.

Something like this maybe? Click me.

Ooops just read you'll be sticking with an Athlon, what one will you be going for? Like I said I've got an AM2 64 X2 4600 and its seriously crap but its been discontinued on a lot of sites and now all they sell is the 5200, 5400, 5600 and 6000 - all of which are CHEAP! The 6000 has had some good reviews too.

Oh and if you're just changing CPU you will not have to reinstall Windows bud.

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
i still build using the AM2 platform, for a home PC they're fine, we build with 5200+ and a Foxconn mobo, they're pretty speedy.

ChrisGT

Member +
My PC is quite old now but it was a gaming beast in its prime, this is the spec atm:

AM2 X2 4600
4GB Corsair DDR2 675MHz/PC2 5400 RAM
128MB 7600GT
ASUS Mobo
Enermax 500w PSU

Its unbelievably slow now though :*( I wanna go Core2Duo lol

Big_Daddy

Member +
I'd say the bundles on OCUK are pretty good mate, then all you'd need (if you don't have already) is a case, HDD, CD drives and PSU and a OEM copy of Windows.

Something like this maybe? Click me.

Ooops just read you'll be sticking with an Athlon, what one will you be going for? Like I said I've got an AM2 64 X2 4600 and its seriously crap but its been discontinued on a lot of sites and now all they sell is the 5200, 5400, 5600 and 6000 - all of which are CHEAP! The 6000 has had some good reviews too.

Oh and if you're just changing CPU you will not have to reinstall Windows bud.

Im still upgrading :) just that sticking athlon 64 i have into the sempron 2800 socket in another pc.

some good spec pc goin on ebay quad core running at 9ghz :) but i just need the board, core and ram

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
My PC is quite old now but it was a gaming beast in its prime, this is the spec atm:

AM2 X2 4600
4GB Corsair DDR2 675MHz/PC2 5400 RAM
128MB 7600GT
ASUS Mobo
Enermax 500w PSU

Its unbelievably slow now though :*( I wanna go Core2Duo lol

what OS you running? in my experience XP runs like shite and is unstable on 4GB, i found 2gb to be the happy medium on that os.

you probably would benefit from a reload to cos mine is:

AMD X2 4400 S939
2048MB DDR1 400mhz
BFG Geforce 6800GS 256MB AGP 8x
Akasa Paxpower 400W PSU

and as a internet/media playback machine it's as fast as anything i've built recently cos i keep it shite-free, with as few processes running as possible (40 at the moment, but i have a shitload open as i right this) right now i has 1448mb of 2048 free :)