Red stuff pads

terrygtturbo

Member +
I've just ped new grooved and drilled disks with redstuff pads on, on test driving they were brilliant for few minutes then they have gone spongy and quite a long pedal? Havnt got them hot or abused them on bedding in either! Any ideas wot this could be?!? Cheers

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
I've just ped new grooved and drilled disks with redstuff pads on, on test driving they were brilliant for few minutes then they have gone spongy and quite a long pedal? Havnt got them hot or abused them on bedding in either! Any ideas wot this could be?!? Cheers

redstuffs are not suitable for starlets as specified by ebc , i think they need to much heat to get them working properly :):)

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Yes you need to break them in with light braking for a couple of hundred miles id recommend.

Point to note is Red Stuff arent recommended to be used on a Starlet as already mentioned. Yellow stuff are a much better pad.

It does sound as if you need to bleed your brakes, give that a give and see if your pedal gets better.

terrygtturbo

Member +
Yes you need to break them in with light braking for a couple of hundred miles id recommend.

Point to note is Red Stuff arent recommended to be used on a Starlet as already mentioned. Yellow stuff are a much better pad.

It does sound as if you need to bleed your brakes, give that a give and see if your pedal gets better.

I'll give that a blast 2moro, will I need to upgrade brake fluid with these pads?and why arnt they recomended. Starlets arnt heavy enough to make the pads hot enough to work?

Iain@CRD

Lifer
For the sake of £6 per bottle of 0.5l Toyota DOT 5.1 from Toyota, id upgrade the fluid aswell bud.

Red stuff are just not recommended for Starlets by EBC themselves and they develop the pad, youll notice a difference upgrading to Yellow stuff for sure.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
How can a pad not be suitable for a particular car? I dont understand? Pads should be put into category by "means of use" not vehicle.

Can anyway give me a technical explanation or even a good reason here.....

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Ricky@JAP MAD said:
no i mean ebc recomended to not bother fitting redstuff to starlet turbo's because they are unpredictable.

different cars react differently to different pad compounds

EBC also confirm this that they dont recommend fitment. I can pop away an email to them directly and find out the reason but if they design the pad and state its not suitable then id have to go with them on the matter.

Tho a good point to raise Dan.

Iain

Texx

Super Moderator

SPONGY BRAKE PEDAL
A soft or spongy pedal can often happen during the early life of a pad especially on a vehicle where the rotor condition was poor (not turned). Vehicles should be used for a few miles whilst gently pressing the brake pedal occasionally in a safe road condition to encourage the pads to bed in. If the condition persists return the vehicle to the installing mechanic and ask for the brakes to be “bled” to change the brake fluid. Older brake fluids contain a higher water percentage and can cause a spongy brake.

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/faq.asp

Texx

Super Moderator
How can a pad not be suitable for a particular car? I dont understand? Pads should be put into category by "means of use" not vehicle.

Can anyway give me a technical explanation or even a good reason here.....

COMPOUND SELECTION
Green pads should be used for all standard street vehicles.
Red pads should be used on muscle cars, faster and heavier BMW models.
Yellowstuff grade should be used for track days.
Bluestuff endurance grade should be used on heaviest and fastest off highway race use.
SUV’s and light trucks should always be recommended EBC’s 6000 series - there is no alternative compound for this vehicle segment.

Rapid Guide Passenger Cars - Green

SUV’s - 6000 series
Trucks - 6000 series
Muscle Cars - Red
Imports (Cars) - Green

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/faq.asp

I'm guessing from the above that a Starlet doesn't have the weight required to get the Red type compound up to working temperature.

terrygtturbo

Member +
For the sake of £6 per bottle of 0.5l Toyota DOT 5.1 from Toyota, id upgrade the fluid aswell bud.

Red stuff are just not recommended for Starlets by EBC themselves and they develop the pad, youll notice a difference upgrading to Yellow stuff for sure.
How is it that I baught the disks and pads off ebc as a bundle package and the pads tHe pads suplyed were red stuff ?!?

Iain@CRD

Lifer
How is it that I baught the disks and pads off ebc as a bundle package and the pads tHe pads suplyed were red stuff ?!?

Yes they supply them for those who wish to use them, as posted above there recommended for heavier use of cars i.e muscle cars etc. But even EBC recommend against them.