Reducing 5E cc

Gord R

Member +
Hi Guys,

Heres one for you to think about, bit of an unusual one.

Would it be possible to reduce the CC of a 5E to as near to 1428cc as possible? Cant be any larger than that so it meets class regs.

Thoughts?

Rob H

Member +
I think it would be easier to make a 4e up to 1428 rarther than take a 5e down to 1428cc.

Gord R

Member +
Rob, i dont think there is enough meat between the bores to get big enough pistons in there. 75mm pistons takes it to 1367cc.

Sleeving down the bores is certainly an option, 72mm pistons would get it to 1417cc.

dac69er

Super Moderator
you should be able too if he is downsizing the bore anyway. i think resleeving to stock size on a 4e, for example, isnt possible due to the wall between the cylinders being so small.

im not sure how much he has to play with so couldnt say 100%, but it may be ok. worth a look to see anyway

Rob H

Member +
you can have the bores over bored then sleeved down to the size you require the engine shop we use for the truck engines does this when the blocks are worn on solid blocks (ones with out liners) I know it works well on trucks but there is a lot more there to bore out unlike the starlet. I could work but how reliable it would be is a different matter.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
why not deck the block and reduce the piston crown height?

kon

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
Won't do anything to the cc. Come now buddy did you not get your coffee this morning :D
Just joking buddy :)

lol good point... i wasnt thinking this morning, when i wrote this... what i meant was deck the block, lower the gudgeon pin pint, ie get custom rods made up that fit the 5e but which will be shorter, (probably about half the size difference between 4e and 5e rod).. that way you would have decreased the stroke, whilst only decreasing the block size slightly to accomodate for the new piston height as ull have a much longer piston instead... it should effectively lower the cc just by getting custom pistons and rods with minimal block work...

hope that makes more sense lol
kon

AdamB

Member +
Had the same idea Kon, like a custom stroker kit without the crank lol.
Have a much longer piston with a reduced in size con rod length. Although it's probably the most expensive method, depends on your budget.

dac69er

Super Moderator
the stroke is determined by the crank.

as i said, you either need to reduce the stroke or decrease the bore size. pissing about with piston heights and different length conrods wont gain you anything apart from a large hole in your pocket unless you get a new crank.

AdamB

Member +
Changing the distance between the big end centreline and small end centreline will adjust the stroke length, but the deck of the block will have to be reduced or the piston deck will have to be taller to allow the piston to reach tdc.
I do agree that it is a lot of money to throw at, but if you wanna be competitve in competition you have to spend the money and advance.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Changing the distance between the big end centreline and small end centreline will adjust the stroke length, but the deck of the block will have to be reduced or the piston deck will have to be taller to allow the piston to reach tdc.
I do agree that it is a lot of money to throw at, but if you wanna be competitve in competition you have to spend the money and advance.

it cannot without a new crank. you will just be moving the position of the piston in relation to the crank, so the cranks offset from centre needs to be increased to increase the stroke.

the overall stroke length would be increased if you fitted longer rods for example, but what you gain in distance up the top you loose down the bottom of the overall stroke.

Texx

Super Moderator
If I was going to the effort of having a block sleeved and custom pistons made, then I'd be looking at using a big port 16v 4A-GE and 76.5mm pistons rather than trying to downsize a 5E.

weeJohn

Lifer
A 3E engine is 1456cc, where a 5E is 1497cc. I would start to look at why the 3E has less, ie the stroke or the bore size.