Reducing Lag

turbojim

Lifer
more cc,s i.e going 5e and upping piston size also thicker headgasket and lower compression im pretty sure as you will have more exhaust gas or then you have nos

whiteglanzav

Member +
compression, displacement, length of intercooler route, width of intercooler pipe, decent boost controller, good map,

all these things will help buddy :)

turbojim

Lifer
yea higher comp is quicker response on na but when trying to spool a big turbo lower comp is better im pretty sure

whiteglanzav

Member +
lower comp allows you to run more boost pressure by putting less strain on the internals - you need low comp to run big boost but high comp would spool a turbo faster than low comp but you wouldnt be able to run as much boost

whiteglanzav

Member +
well my compression is low,im not goin 5e :D.more boost maybe??what width should the intercooler pipe be do you think?

haha !! i wouldnt put that turbo past 1.6 bar i dont think buddy, the i/c pipes should be same diamiter as turbo outlet on the hot side and then 2.5 inch on the cold side to the tb maybe 2.1/4 on a 4e ??????? but im not 100% - i wouldnt overly worry about the lag it just means that when your off boost your more economical - all you gotta do is shift down a gear :) :)

there are gain settings on most boost controllers aswell that can help with reducing the lag and also your tuner may be able to alter it slightly aswell but thats one for chris ;)

98_glanza

Member +
haha !! i wouldnt put that turbo past 1.6 bar i dont think buddy, the i/c pipes should be same diamiter as turbo outlet on the hot side and then 2.5 inch on the cold side to the tb maybe 2.1/4 on a 4e ??????? but im not 100% - i wouldnt overly worry about the lag it just means that when your off boost your more economical - all you gotta do is shift down a gear :) :)

there are gain settings on most boost controllers aswell that can help with reducing the lag and also your tuner may be able to alter it slightly aswell but thats one for chris ;)

i really noticed the lag last night in lower gears racing a bike(on a private road)when i had the td04 it would stay with it for a couple of gears,now hes gone,he has power straight away whereas i have to wait for the turbo,thats why im looking for ways of bringing it down a bit,not looking for miracles.

would cams and a better inlet manifold and throttle body help?

whiteglanzav

Member +
a better inlet manifold would make a good difference and also head work would make a major difference cams would probobly increase the lag a bit as bigger cams have to rev higher before they get into their efficiency range

headwork and an inlet would be the best bet maybe drop the spool up to 500 rpm