Removing bottom pulleys

sdutton007

Member +
Hi,

I'm having a lot of trouble getting the bolt off the bottom pulleys. Even with the handbrake on full, and in 1st/5th/reverse, my biggest breaker bar still can't shift the bottom pulley bolt - partly because the whole car moves against the chocks.

The head is removed and the gearbox is attached. I can't even wedge anything in the teeth of the flywheel because the cover plate is on.

Unfortunately, I haven't got access to an airgun or anything like that.

Has anybody got any bright ideas how to get this sodding bolt off? I've been trying brute force and ignorance for ages lol

Cheers

rwdrev

Member +
is the starer still connected? could try flicking the engine over with the breaker bar on the pulley to "jolt" the bolt. done this loads of times, just make sure it done hit anything

dark_knight

Member +
as has been suggested, if your clutch is fairly healthy, engage 5th, get someone to brake hard & then go at it with a breaker bar. it helps to have soaked the bolt in penetrating fluid for a couple of hours prior.. :)
good luck..

rosso321

Member +
I had to use a air gym as tried all the above like it was welded to it lol. Only tool to do it right and safest.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Im weak and with my dad on the footbrake i can shift it with an average sized breaker bar.