removing driveshaft, help!!!

Trying to change driveshaft on my n/a but no matter how hard i try i cannot get the inner cv joint cup out of the gearbox. Tried prying it out, tried hitting it with a hammer with a bar in one of the notches. Tried tying rope around it and pulling and it just wont budge. Is there a special way to get them out as it is just going no where. Help me please!!!

triple j

Member +
put a chisel or something like that on the grove of the inner cup and tip it off wit the hammer while someone is pulling it too, its best to put the drive shaft in a vice and tip off the cv joint fron behind with a bar and a hammer.

STARLET N/A

Member +
first of all you need to remove the outer CV joint before you do the inner.

the outer joint you will have to remove the hub nut. there is a clip as well but you can easily remove this. i believe the nut is 30mm and not the easiest to remove

after you done that remove the the three nuts at the bottom of hub for the track rod end, all 14mm. pull drive shaft out or give it a good wack to free it.

now all the tension from on inner CV joint is gone knock out the inner joint (try the same again with bar and hammer). dont forget to remove gearbox oil before you remove inner joint

ive obviously removed the outter cv joint and shaft from the car before trying to whack the inner cv joint out. What i meant when i said how do i remove outter cv joint was how do i actually remove it from the shaft to replace it. Reason im asking is because the outter cv joint has gone on my car so i was just going to remove the whole shaft and replace it with a spare i have. As im struggling to remove the inner cup it looks like im just going to have to replace the outter cv joint with a new one but i cant work out how it actually removes from the shaft.

triple j

Member +
put the drive shaft in a vice and tip off the cv joint fron behind with a bar and a hammer, if that dont work buddy u may give up.

aint there a circlip or anything holding the cv joint on shaft? what about fitting the new one then is it just a case of hitting it onto the shaft?

corofin12345

Member +
it should just pop out mate, if your replacing the driveshaft you can sacrifice the dust cover on the end of the inner joint, a pry bar should pop it straight off

steve-gers

Member +
not sure about a starlet but on my corsa there was a circlip holding it on behind the boot. Still took a fairly good whack even after taking it off to remove it

triple j

Member +
aint there a circlip or anything holding the cv joint on shaft? what about fitting the new one then is it just a case of hitting it onto the shaft?
there is a ring on the end of the cv joint shaft u cant see it, the cv joint will pop off passed it, when u are putting the new one back on, centre the ring up on the shaft then slip the
cv joint on as far as the ring on the shaft, check the ring is centred then one tip of the hammer should pop it on the rest of the way

Ok cheers for the replies everyone will give it another bash getting the bit out of the gearbox, if no luck il just buy a new outter cv joint

Evjatar

Member +
They sometimes will not come out. I placed a crowbar, a straigt small one, against the green part of the cv joint at the transmission side. Gave it a few bashs and it came out. It just clicks in place with a snap ring, so taking it in and out shouldn't be very hard..