Removing Internet Explorer

Texx

Super Moderator
Does anyone know if it's possible and if so how you can remove Internet Explorer from Windows 7?

Deleting or renaming iexplore.exe would be ideal, but apparently I have to apply in writing to get permission from TrustedInstaller before I'm allowed to make changes to my own PC, seriously WTF is that all about? :mad:

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Does anyone know if it's possible and if so how you can remove Internet Explorer from Windows 7?

Deleting or renaming iexplore.exe would be ideal, but apparently I have to apply in writing to get permission from TrustedInstaller before I'm allowed to make changes to my own PC, seriously WTF is that all about? :mad:

Any help would be appreciated.

You cannot delete or rename any system files, you can try to delete it if you want -))))

Try to reinstall the windows and tick that you would like to choose and alternative web browser.(only available for the EU version of the Windows 7) However it doesn't fully remove the IE. as it's impossible because the whole bloody windows works on the Explorer you just don't realise it. But it will make an alternative web browser by default you can install an Opera, Chrome etc....

I would just install another browser and don't worry about the EI just don't use it!

Texx

Super Moderator
I don't necessarily need to uninstall IE, I only want to avoid the executable running hence why I want to either rename or delete iexplore.exe. Every time it fires up the desktop hangs and I have to kill the iexplore.exe process from the task manager. The start menu and explorer shell still responds, but you can't click any icons on the desktop.

If there's some way to edit the permissions of the executable and give myself full rights, then I should be able to do the rest.

pig666eon

Member +
go to uninstall programs in control panel and on your left you will see turn off windows features and just get rid of everything you dont use makes the computer run alot faster:)

its a computer people anything is possible ha

Last edited:

Texx

Super Moderator
I don't think you get that function in Windows 7, well I couldn't find it if it is there.

I took ownership of both executables, changed the permissions to full rights and then deleted them, sorted.

pig666eon

Member +
im running 7 ultimate mate on my laptop you can defo do it i have it infront of me here on two computers turn windows features on/off

Arnold

Lifer
I don't think you get that function in Windows 7, well I couldn't find it if it is there.

If anything is still associated to run with IE though, you'll just get boxes come up saying IE cannot be found. You'll probably need to change registry settings to change the association with the program, or just install firefox and set it as the default browser

Texx

Super Moderator
im running 7 ultimate mate on my laptop you can defo do it i have it infront of me here on two computers turn windows features on/off

After running Windows Update that option has just appeared, slightly strange as none of the updates installed had any reference to Windows features.

Texx

Super Moderator
If anything is still associated to run with IE though, you'll just get boxes come up saying IE cannot be found. You'll probably need to change registry settings to change the association with the program, or just install firefox and set it as the default browser

I'm using Chrome anyway, so if anything try's to run IE and starts complaining it can't be found, I'll take it as a successful victory. :beer:

pig666eon

Member +
After running Windows Update that option has just appeared, slightly strange as none of the updates installed had any reference to Windows features.

its a bit weird alrite you can switch off more that just internet explorer anything you dont use turn off is defo speeds it up abit anyway its done now ha