removing outer door panel

Tcat

Fresh Recruit
so just wondering about this went to take them off today because there seems so be a world of rust an dirt built up inside. theres 4 or 5 bolts on the under side of the door that need to be removed but there just twisting and not coming out surely due to the rust, anybody have a problem with rust and dirt build up there before? also i presume theres another bolt on the side of the door somewhere to remove aswell?so basically im askin is it just the few bolts holding it on to the main part of the door and did anyone ever have trouble taking the panel off?

dac69er

Super Moderator
there is a rail with plastic clips along the top. best way is to take the door car off the inside of the door and use some pliers to manipulate the clips out while applying some pressure to the panel you are removing. chances are you will break a few of the clips. best done with 2 people.

if you have lots of rust behind the door something isn't good, I would definitely check your sills for rust :(

Tcat

Fresh Recruit
theres a noticable gap between this panel and the door which obviously shouldnt be there so i presume theres just water an dirt leaking down and then gathering at the end of the door, just this outer part though, ill remove em the weekend hopefully there wont be too much damage i have a feeling there might be though when i push in the bottom part theres a lot of crunching sound, crunching noises never tend to be good!

Tcat

Fresh Recruit
removed that panel today, the bracket inside which the bottom bolts screw up into was mangled with rust not overly sure where the water was getting at it panel mustnt have been sealed properly maybe although its the same story on the other side, no rust on the door or anywhere else at least, this happen to many others?