removing paint from plastics???

dac69er

Super Moderator
I was being lazy and managed to get spray paint on the interior plastics of my fiat. Other that scrapping it, Which is probably the best idea, what's best to use to remove it?

Plastics can be removed from the car easy enough and the paint is just standard acrylic rattle-can stuff.

Thanks

Guye

Lifer
Try using one of those dish washing sponges with the green scrubbing bit. I used one with upholstery cleaner to remove oversprays on my interior recently. Maybe it will work for you.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Will give it a try. Upholstery cleaner sounds random though, never would have thought to use that !!!

Rev

Member +
I used acetone ( nail polish remover ) to clean/melt the acrylic car head lamp lens surface. if the other plastic does not melt with acetone that may weaken the acrylic worth a testing a bit where it is unseen as it still may discolour the other plastic .

Last edited:

Guye

Lifer
I know upholstery cleaner sounds odd. I always use the foaming type to remove overspray from the trim and glass if there is any after body work/painting has been done. I used some this morning actually to do the same thing lol

Skalabala

Member +
Acetone and thinners will work. I would also strongly recommend not to use the scotch pad, it will ruin the plastic!
Just do what you wife does when she cleans her nails :)