Removing Shaft from Hub

Sean_GT

Member +
OK so at the weekend i decided it was time to change my outer CV joint with the kit i have.

So i went out thinking yep should not take to long.

I took everything apart then realised i could not seperate my Shaft from the Hub.

I used the tool i have and that just snapped the bolt in half. So i then decided to beat it up a little bit with a club hammer, (with the nut on of course:))

This did not work and in the end i gave up and put it all back together.

I did not really want to take it to a garage so was wondering if anyone else has any methods of splitting them? If i take the shaft out of the gearbox will it make it any easier?

Thanks Sean

Big_Daddy

Member +
way i did it, was using a heavy duty rachet on big socket with jack's pole bar, abit of jumping on it, it opened. The wheel was still on it and part jacked down(less chance of hub spinning).

Sean_GT

Member +
way i did it, was using a heavy duty rachet on big socket with jack's pole bar, abit of jumping on it, it opened. The wheel was still on it and part jacked down(less chance of hub spinning).

I will have to give this a go, does sound like it could work. Rep added:)

Big_Daddy

Member +
The longer the pole the better chance it could open (science stuff), impact gun do wonders if access to. lol
Gud luck

Sean_GT

Member +
Thanks mate im going to need it! well if all else fails i could always take it off from the gearbox and take it to a garage and get it pressed out

Big_Daddy

Member +
Other method could be is! This works on the cars weighht instead of yours. Jack the car fully down, use rachet/big socket and long bar, then use a jack to pump it, (less strain on the back lol ).

Worked for me when my wheels nuts wouldnt budge!

Sean_GT

Member +
How old just read this again, did you think i cannot get the nut off?

I can get the nut off fine i just cannot get the driveshaft out of the hub!

Big_Daddy

Member +
How old just read this again, did you think i cannot get the nut off?

I can get the nut off fine i just cannot get the driveshaft out of the hub!

Oh lol, so the outer joint is stuck in hub?

Other suggestion could be Using a G clamp (big one)and some wood, Remove brake disc/ calliper apply G clamp behind hub and other side joint spline , add wod to prevent damage when turning the clamp, it may push it out

Or, whole hub and driveshaft may need to come out, you cant whack it with hammer whilts the drive shaft is in the gearbox joint (prevent damage).Once out tap it with hammer and the shaft should pop out (pray). lol

chimp

Member +
I'm sure there is a tool that looks like a "bridge" with a big threaded rod in the middle. Can't remember where I saw it but basically what happens is:

You attach it to your hub using diagonally opposite wheel nuts (ensuring that the threaded bar is in line with the centre of your driveshaft), then get a ratchet and socket on to the threaded bar (has a bolt head) and tighten it up. By tightening the bolt, it pushes the shaft out the back.

I'll see if I can remeber where I saw it or see if I can find a picture of one for you.

Sean_GT

Member +
Oh lol, so the outer joint is stuck in hub?

Other suggestion could be Using a G clamp (big one)and some wood, Remove brake disc/ calliper apply G clamp behind hub and other side joint spline , add wod to prevent damage when turning the clamp, it may push it out

Or, whole hub and driveshaft may need to come out, you cant whack it with hammer whilts the drive shaft is in the gearbox joint (prevent damage).Once out tap it with hammer and the shaft should pop out (pray). lol

Ye i think removing it from the gearbox end and giving it some abuse is my only option to be honest, i also read somewhere about heating it up a little bit but im unsure if that would that do damage to something else

I'm sure there is a tool that looks like a "bridge" with a big threaded rod in the middle. Can't remember where I saw it but basically what happens is:

You attach it to your hub using diagonally opposite wheel nuts (ensuring that the threaded bar is in line with the centre of your driveshaft), then get a ratchet and socket on to the threaded bar (has a bolt head) and tighten it up. By tightening the bolt, it pushes the shaft out the back.

I'll see if I can remeber where I saw it or see if I can find a picture of one for you.

Ye its called a Hub Puller, i had one of those and the bolt snapped in half whilst using it so im going to need something a bit tougher than that! Thanks anyway tho man.

GTnomez

Member +
i assume you have taken the lower arm bolts off right?

once the driveshaft nut is out you just pull the hub towards you and slowly tap the drivshaft out with a hammer.