Repairing a blitz BOV?

dave-izzle

Member +
Is there any way of repairing or refurbishing my blitz super sound? It seems to have packed in. The piston moves up and down fine when you push a pencil or whatever up the end of it, but refuses to 'blow off' when it's attached to the car, even if you adjust it? Used to work fine, then i installed a fmic ages ago and ever since then it's refused to work. really want it working again because i've gone hybrid

ChrisGT

Member +
Hey I got a Blitz SS BOV thats knackered too. Tried everything mate. Took it apart, oiled it all up - NOTHING. Bought a new spring - NOTHING. Tried smoothing off the inner wall and brass piston with emory paper - NOTHING. Bought new circlips and everything to be sure. Annoying thing is my brother bought it, fitted it and it never worked from day 1! Paid £80 for it as well! Grrr...Actually tbh we did get it working for about an hour but then it just f'ed up again! And now it dumps but its a pathetic "swoosh" you can barely hear!

I think what happens is the brass piston wears over time and has little scrapes etc on it which allows air to pass around it so pressure can't be built up. I think the only solution is to buy a new brass piston but as far as I can see here you can't buy one seperately!

dave-izzle

Member +
Hey I got a Blitz SS BOV thats knackered too. Tried everything mate. Took it apart, oiled it all up - NOTHING. Bought a new spring - NOTHING. Tried smoothing off the inner wall and brass piston with emory paper - NOTHING. Bought new circlips and everything to be sure. Annoying thing is my brother bought it, fitted it and it never worked from day 1! Paid £80 for it as well! Grrr...Actually tbh we did get it working for about an hour but then it just f'ed up again! And now it dumps but its a pathetic "swoosh" you can barely hear!

I think what happens is the brass piston wears over time and has little scrapes etc on it which allows air to pass around it so pressure can't be built up. I think the only solution is to buy a new brass piston but as far as I can see here you can't buy one seperately!

wow, thanks for that detailed response! at least it's not just me then! I know what you mean about it makes a pathetic little swoosh noise compared to it's usual noise.

when you say the piston wears and gets little scrapes, do you mean down the side of the piston, or on the bottom face?

ChrisGT

Member +
wow, thanks for that detailed response! at least it's not just me then! I know what you mean about it makes a pathetic little swoosh noise compared to it's usual noise.

when you say the piston wears and gets little scrapes, do you mean down the side of the piston, or on the bottom face?

Down the side of it so it doesn't create a perfect seal.