retarding ignition for more power

luimivrs

Member +
hey guys i got a question it is true that retarding ignition by 2 dregree on a stock 4efte boosting 9 psi it can improve like 10 hp ????:p

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
id love to know how the 10bhp increase was calculated... :haha:

kon

J25GTi

Lifer
Is that retardation of the ignition, or the degree of retardation in the person who suggested it?

:L

id love to know how the 10bhp increase was calculated... :haha:

kon

come on Kon, that one is simple, its 5hp for every degree of retardation

2 degree advance i can see you gaining that much but i wouldn't recommend it. i know from mapping hte 3sgte engines i specalise in you normally see around 10bhp estimate for ever 1 degree of ignition advance you run so 2 degree's on a small engine seems plausable.

Also another thing is what about 2 degree's retardation on the exhaust cam? retarding the exhaust cam would mean the cylinder pressures are kept in the cylinder longer creating more power but little bit more lag. advancing exhaust cam opening will lower power slightly but increase EGT's and turbo responce and spool.

again on the 3sgte you can gain around 10rwhp on a stock engine by retarding the exhaust cam 4 degree's
not sure how you'd do that on your single pulley engines though.

Guess you could retard both cams which would push the power band upwards to the right on the dyno, possibly giving a little more top end power gain but you'd have to run this on a dyno to test it out.

Tim :)

weeJohn

Lifer
I ran 12 degress basic timing on an old engine of mine when I fitted a TD04 with the stock ecu. It never did the engine any harm but I never got a before and after power figure so what gains are there I cant answer.

Basic timing for the MX5s is 10 degress, you get a noticeable increse in power running 14 to 18 degress on them with no ill effects. Its a common quick tune for them.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Basic timing for the MX5s is 10 degress, you get a noticeable increse in power running 14 to 18 degress on them with no ill effects. Its a common quick tune for them.

done the same with mine. was told it doesnt really do much on the 1.8 though? i think different engines respond differently. just a case of trying it and seeing what happens (getting it checked of course).

was a pretty good little free mod on the mx5. i did mine to 14 degrees as i was told that 18 degrees was fine but you started to gain more torque low down and loose a bit of HP. 14 was the happy medium!

yeah you get it wrong it causes det and then your looking at cracked ringlands on your pistons :(

the best way to do this is to get an ecu were you can control the ignition advance and then only increase the ignition on the upper rev limits as adjusting the base timing, the ecu doesn't know its moved from its preset 10 btdc position, so adding 2 degree's to it will add this accross every rev range which isn't always what you want.

dac69er

Super Moderator
there is a knock sensor on the 4efte, but i wouldnt want to rely on that for tuning purposes. it should pick up exessive knock though

theres a knock sensor on the 3sgte's i specalise in and the most common engine failure is crack ringlands because of knock/det

also the factory knock sensors act more like a fuse than a detection method. yes they will pick up knock frequencys but if they detect a large amount they just blow and put the engine into a limp home mode. i wouldn't really want to be paying £100+ everytime for a new knock sensor just because i wanted to "amature" tune my car. Do it properly and set it up with an ecu and add/remove the ignition advance where its needed not adjust the base timing.