REV 3 3SGTE Experts?

dj_russell

Fresh Recruit
basicly at the moment my cars running around the 270ish bhp mark already got a hks evc/boost controller,trust mushroom filter and blitz nur spec exhaust.

i want to get it over the 300mark fingers crossed around 320 id be happy with i know its possible for a reasonable price looking at other gt4s and mr2s.

what i wanted to know as im not up on exactly what mods you need i know others have decatted and fitted an uprated ecu to get those gains with my mods aswell.

id like some prices thrown around and a bit of advice really as this is my 1st turbo car and what i should do to get past the 300 mark at what bar it will then be safe to run, what ecu to go for or wheather it can be done using something like a Blitz R-FIT and all be fine or wheather i need stand alone and if a fcd is needed etc.....

also the car has an uprated twin plate clutch so that type of power wont be putting strain,

excuse my knowledge or lack of gratefull if somone could help me im not totally stupid but i do panic when it comes to messing with engines other than self servicing the car.

cheers guys

Last edited:

Ted

Member +
you not on any gt4 forums? they would know better than us but from what i remember from my brief ownership std 3sgte engines dont like high boost without decent management, damaged ringlands aplenty. apparently they are bulletproof forged.

Glanza Phil

Member +
give owen at kent car craft a call he has made a couple of high powered mr2s with the 3sgte engine. very helpful guy and a good friend of mine.

01843 587 376

dj_russell

Fresh Recruit
yes matey im on a gt4 forum just thought id ask on here while i was on cheers for the info though thats why i was after about the 300-320 there seems to be a few running round with standard internals still at that, i think after that you want to be forging the internals if i remember rightly thats about a grand or 2 which will happen next year after ive done the other stuff 1st would of been happy for a good while to touch past the 300 mark while im still doing other bits on the outside and coilovers etc...

cheers again though

dj_russell

Fresh Recruit
give owen at kent car craft a call he has made a couple of high powered mr2s with the 3sgte engine. very helpful guy and a good friend of mine.

01843 587 376

cheers mate i was thinking of heading over to thor motorsport as its closer to me if noone could help me.

goldenvtr

Member +
my mates is on a stock bottem end running 354bhp

its got a gt2876
fmic
power FC
injectors and fuel pump
full exhauast

thnk thats it...

dj_russell

Fresh Recruit
cheers for the advice thats the sort of info i was after what worrys me is the after effects of adding something, and knowing what youve done and wheather it would be safe to add such and such without uprating this or that aswell theres only 1 way youll learn though lol, but cheers for your advice pal ill start looking at prices now. but hes had no problems with the car running that power on stock internals?

easty-5

Member +
300bhp can be had reletively easy. Are you running a CT26 or CT20b turbo?

Decat is a given. I'd then be tempted to go for a hybrid turbo. They often come up second hand but I think you'd be looking at not far off £1000 for a new one. That should put you up to the 300+ mark at around 1 bar. The MR2 Rev 3+ ECU's are quite good and level out the fuelling so a standalone isn't necessary at this point unless you want a higher state of tune. Unsure of the GT4's though.

Texx

Super Moderator
IIRC, some of the later engines around '94-'95 suffered from thin wall blocks that tended to crack the bores with high boost pressure. It was recommended to have the block ultrasound checked before spending too much money on it. Have an ask on www.imoc.co.uk they will be able to tell you a bit more about it.

dac69er

Super Moderator
my mate was running a decat, mongoose exhaust, blitz boost controller, straight intake with blitz filter and got just under 300bhp at 1.2 bar.

another mate has one with a similar setup and an emerald ecu and is running about 320 at the same boost.

Texx

Super Moderator
I had the shaft snap on at least 2 CT26's with the MR2, may have been 3 I can't remember now. Went and bought a TD05-16G HKS kit in the end as I couldn't find a decent steel shaft CT20 for a good price. A CT26 will get you up to around 300hp, but the ceramic shaft isn't that strong and doesn't like increased boost levels. I don't believe a stock CT26 would flow 420hp though!

A TD06-20G would be a better choice when aiming for that sort of power.