Rota Wheels - Your Views

CTR_Timmy

Member +
I am in the market for some new wheels as the OEM Lexus ones which were previously refurbed have started to crach and chip. I have been looking at Rota Grids but I have herd negative things about Rota's recently. I did have a nice set of JSPL's on my GT had them on a year and were good apart from the chrome lip corroding.

Has anyone experienced problems with these wheels?

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Rota Wheels has to survive the series of tests. Impact test, Cornering fatigue test, Drum test, Coordinating test and an acid test on the track.

In all these, Rota delivers. These wheels are a product of 25 years of manufacturing experience--experience that is continually boosted and enhanced by our alliances with European and Japanese technological partners.

Ive got Rota's, i know alot of people that use Rota's and never had an issue. But as soon as an alloy buckles or gets damaged it MUST be the alloy to blame :haha:. I blame the roads.

Just as strong as any other alloy but not as heavy.

GTnomez

Member +
rotaFTL.jpg

Arnold

Lifer
I like the Grids on my V, but stone chips have taken bits out the chrome pretty easily and it's noticable

turbo head

Munster Area Rep.
i had red rota gt3s an there not a bad wheel but the only complaint was that they fade very fast after 6 months they were nearly pink :)

pc18

North West England Area Rep.
i think there great for the price but i wouldnt get any of their wheels with a polished lip. every set ive seen have just corroded. i have a set of j mags and they look well mankey now the whole wheels are pretty much corroded.

conalmcn

Member +
There no worse than any other chrome lips for chips/damage, they have some of the nicest wheels out there imo, grids, gt3s torques and gtrs all lovely wheels.

sanchez

Member +
Yeah i think they are great wheels for the price, they are copies but generally lighter than the genuines.
I dont think i would buy any as im a brand whore lol only do genuine JDM stuff.

Haha at Nomez :D

addz

Member +
I rate them. Had my Grids on about 3 years plus, stong as.

Been in a few nasty spins, hit curbs right over, and pot-holes and they've held on fine.

Would I go for another pair, certainly.

kellygt

Member +
I had 15" Advan Tc's on my Glanza and as soon as they met the Irish roads they were no more good the paint started flaking off and they were buckled from the pot holes, I have second hand 16" Rota grids on my car now and they are doing fine, I don't understand how people say they are crap the roads are crap a World Rally Car forged wheel can break on bad roads, there alloy's at the end of the day if you want strength wear steelie's

Vincent-ep91

Member +
for the money you would spend buying a new or even seccond hand set off a fella, you might aswell be patient and find a rare jdm set for a similar price. :recon:

durmz

Member +
for the money you would spend buying a new or even seccond hand set off a fella, you might aswell be patient and find a rare jdm set for a similar price. :recon:

Why? So you can be jdm yo? So over rated imo, good set of rota's are spot on imo

Johnny_C

Lifer
nothing wrong with rotas,ive had 2 sets,one set on the gilfriends civic.
but there is no comparision to weight when it comes to the rotas and my te37s.
the rotas are light for what they are,defo very good value for money.

pc18

North West England Area Rep.
Why? So you can be jdm yo? So over rated imo, good set of rota's are spot on imo

x2

whilst there are alot of good parts out of japan it amazes me how some people will spend so much on some thing to say its "jdm" i seen a guy on uksc who paid around 500 for an alloy rad that had zep on it :homer:
i think with alot of things now you can get better items over here than japan like manifolds ect look how expensive the hrf/cruise ones are and they just crack like ebay cheapo ones. i would much rather have a ricky lee over a jdm manifold any day.

the rotas are great wheels and they normally come in a better selection of widths. most jdm wheels for starlets/ civics ect are 6.5j which look a bit skinny on our cars but the rotas normally come in 7j which is much better suited.

if you put a dent or badly damage any jdm wheels unless you can find another for sale some where your pretty much fooked, but another 100 quid and you can buy a new rota :drive:

I too hate the "it has to be jdm" thought train.

If it does the job and it's good quality I don't care where it's from. If it is then the cheaper the better.