Running Td05 on td04 map

mitchracer

Member +
Basically the story goes, I'm waiting to get my car mapped but can't as my clutch is slipping, so what I want to know is, while I wait for my new clutch plate to come what can I safely boost my td05 turbo to on the current map? Which is td04 at 1.5bar? I won't be out abusing the car while I wait but I'm just thinking if I have some big engined expensive car up my ass and want to gain a bit of respect for the old starlet scene and get caught in the moment as you do! What would anybody recommend me to set my boost at to be fueled enough on this map? Thanks

mitchracer

Member +
So is there no way I'm going to be able to check whether the new clutch is going to hold the torque once fitted before it goes on dyno? Otherwise I may get it on the dyno and they tell me again that the clutch is still slipping then I have to pay for the dyno again, then get new clutch again n fit again?

mitchracer

Member +
Ok bud, cheers for the advice, il try find somewhere with a wideband, any idea how much they are to buy as it is on my list of things to get?

AdamB

Member +
You can get an AEM wideband for about £160 I think, there's a seller on eBay that does them.
I would advise not to boost the engine until it's set up though :)

Texx

Super Moderator
So is there no way I'm going to be able to check whether the new clutch is going to hold the torque once fitted before it goes on dyno?

The obvious answer to that is fit a clutch that has a higher torque rating than the engine is likely to produce. If your engine blows your dyno day is going to be hampered by a little more than a slipping clutch.

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
As above, Don't boost it until you

a) Have a clutch that can take it, many people run TD05 turbos so finding a clutch wont be an issue
b) Have it on a wideband and at least have the fueling checked

Cheers

Mike Jones
Tuning Developments Ltd

mitchracer

Member +
The obvious answer to that is fit a clutch that has a higher torque rating than the engine is likely to produce. If your engine blows your dyno day is going to be hampered by a little more than a slipping clutch.
Now you would think that would work, but I have just put a new clutch kit rated at 250 torque and the same bhp and that was slipping at 240bhp and 220 torque on td04 after about 100miles so now Iv gone for the 320bhp kit and am not guna run the turbo hard enough to go over like 280-290bhp. I will probably buy a wideband eventually, but il just take it easy til mapping day now, is annoying knowing all that power is under your foot but you can't use it and Iv been waiting like 6months to get it running sweet again n it finally is!

pockrockgtti

Member +
I have just put a new clutch kit rated at 250 torque and the same bhp and that was slipping at 240bhp and 220 torque on td04 after about 100miles so now Iv gone for the 320bhp kit and am not guna run the turbo hard enough to go over like 280-290bhp.

Did you bother bedding the clutch in for about 300miles first before giving it boost?